PDA

View Full Version : Question Dead Battery

pearcey555
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Anyone any ideas here... went out to the car this morning and she wouldn't turn over, nothing really apart from the normal lights on the dash. Thought it was a dead battery so tried to jump it (probably charged for 10 mins) but no luck. Battery does seem to have charge now (windows are fine) but when i turn the key there is a dull ticking from somewhere on the right of the engine, the speedo has a little hissy fit (flickers very slightly) for a matter of seconds and the clock reverts back to 00:00.

Any ideas if I maybe need to charge the battery for longer or if something else might be a miss?. Have no issues like this before and she drove fine last night.

(2.5 TDI convertible)

Alan02
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Its either a dead/discharged battery or a loose/dirty lead etc.You need at least 12 volts at the battery if its good.If you know what your doing you could check the voltage drop across the terminals if the battery is ok.

pearcey555
04-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks Alan

pearcey555
08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
:1zhelp:

OK so RAC thought it could be a faulty starter motor and were kind enough to tow me to the local garage today. Good news is the starter motor is fine, bad news is that the pulley bolt for the aux belt has come undone and fallen out... waiting on the really good news as to what damage it has done (if any).

Weird one might think, however if 5 months ago the same bolt had sheared off and required drilling out (full front end removal etc) would that make you think coincidence ?!?!

Has anyone else had something like this happen? The 1st incident happened 2 weeks after an MOT and 1 week after my dealer warrenty ended and the belt has never been replaced/touched to my knowledge.

Any help/thoughts greatfully appreciated.

Camb-Tech
08-03-2010, 06:58 PM
:1zhelp:

OK so RAC thought it could be a faulty starter motor and were kind enough to tow me to the local garage today. Good news is the starter motor is fine, bad news is that the pulley bolt for the aux belt has come undone and fallen out... waiting on the really good news as to what damage it has done (if any).

Weird one might think, however if 5 months ago the same bolt had sheared off and required drilling out (full front end removal etc) would that make you think coincidence ?!?!

Has anyone else had something like this happen? The 1st incident happened 2 weeks after an MOT and 1 week after my dealer warrenty ended and the belt has never been replaced/touched to my knowledge.

Any help/thoughts greatfully appreciated.

Not the first time this has happened soon after work being done on the engine.
They are supposed to replace that bolt everytime it's undone. I bet they reused the old one. Proving it would be another story. Might be able to if you have the itemised invoice though and see no bolt on it??