PDA

View Full Version : Please Help S4 v8 Starting problem continued Arrr!

buck22
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Ok before I start I would like to say I have read a lot of good stuff on the site about starting problems thanks to everyone for shearing there experiences. :beerchug:
I even received some good advice (free!:D) from Audi Derby about checking the battery. This I had high hopes of because when I topped the battery up in my car it took just over 1 ½ bottles of distilled Water. Unfortunately this dose not seems to have been the problem.

To save time these are the basics. The car will often not start after along trip the day before or cold mornings. The key is recognised on the dash as the green OK comes on. There is no sound (this could be because of the superior build quality) of the fuel pump or the starter moving ie . No solenoid clicking or starter motor spinning without engaging. All the fans and lights come on. The fuel gauge rises.

:confused:The problems I have read about seem to fall into a couple of groups.
Key Issues, Ignition Switch fault and some scary stuff about Starter Motors failing £££.

I am getting to the point of taking the car into a main dealer but as the fault can go away for a couple of days at time I don’t want to do this as odds on it wont happen for them!

:1zhelp:So the questions are:-
How easy is it to change the ignition switch? Is it a DIY job?
Is there a fuel pressure switch on the v8 s4 fuel pump?
How easy is a starter motor change on a v8 s4?
Would a fault reader show up any of the faults above?

Apologies for the lengthy of my posting. Any help or comments on the above would be greatly appreciated.
:beerchug:
Buck22

jeznewsome
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Been having similar problems with mine. After a cold night the starter motor would occasionally take upto 5 seconds to start turning after twisting the key to the start position. It had always turned, eventually and then started immediately.

Then this week I have been on an outdoor course in Scotland and a quick check on Thursday night (it'd been very cold at night and cold all day) gave no response bar the normal interior electrics (and lights before I swithed them off). Over Thursday night and into Friday it'd been warmer and fortunately it started on Friday evening to allow me to drive home.

Then this morning...nothing at all. I feared the worse (starter motor or something else) but in case I tried a jump start....the starter was immediate. A trip to ********* and their battery checker proved my battery was goosed (these checks seem to be accurate on other car batteries I have had them carried out on).

So I now have a new Bosch battery to fit,

buck22
06-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks jeznewsome

I tried a jump start as well but nothing then 30 seconds latter just as giving up and stated looking for recovery firm telephone number. Just one last go and bingo.

There seems to be a pattern now in that i try it once and then leave it for 3 to 4 minutes, then she starts fine? Like something is not right and then drains away?

To odd!! I have a big week at work coming up and could do without the hassle.

Looks like main dealer time! Arrr!

Buck 22

buck22
11-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Ok gave in on Sunday and purchased a new battery from Halfords. Ok not the cheapest but hay they are local.

And yep I still have the starting problem! So to recap the keys are fine, the battery is new, when she starts she runs fine.

Looks like a trip to the main dealer!!!

:1zhelp:anyone know a good independent in the Derby area?:1zhelp:

Alan02
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
It could be an ignition switch issue,or a relay.If you can get ti it,it may be worh checking to see if you have a terminal 15 Live feed when the switch is in START position at the small terminal on the starter solenoid.A voltmeter or test lamp will do.That will confirm a start signal to starter motor.If it has,check leads on starter,earths etc.If not,check ignition switch outputs,relays etc.

buck22
11-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Alan

Thanks I will give it a try at the weekend. Come to think of it I had a fuel relay on my 993 give up and this now feels like Day jar view. I will pop out to the car now and see if any of the relays are lose or respond to a tap.

Tony