PDA

View Full Version : Key woes

JTLacey
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Bought a 4 month old A4 2.0TDi S-Line in January. Very impressed BUT sometimes when I push the key into the slot and push to start it just sits looking at me and doesn't start. I release and push again and (mostly) it starts OK. Is it me? The weather has been very cold of course and it may just be the warming needing time. Any advice anyone to make me more positive of a first time start? :confused: Great car in spite of this niggle and I want to make sure it's the car not me before I ask the Dealer to take a look.

DeanS
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I get this on my petrol so I don't think its to do with any pre heater- for me I have to serriously press the clutch against the carpet else it doesn't start. When my car goes in for its first service I'm gonna ask if they can make it less sensitive with respect to the amount of clutch depression.

A1287210
03-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I get this on my petrol so I don't think its to do with any pre heater- for me I have to serriously press the clutch against the carpet else it doesn't start. When my car goes in for its first service I'm gonna ask if they can make it less sensitive with respect to the amount of clutch depression.

Agree clutch needs to be all the way down to start

walking joint
03-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Mine was doing this as well, it could take up to 5 attempts some times but always started first time from cold. I found that instead of immediately releasing the key when you try to start it just pause and release it. Seems to work for me.

pitch3110
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
My 143 PS Multi does this, but I have to keep the left peddle pressed and once the pre heat is done it starts.

I dont think it is a real prob.

Pitch

JTLacey
05-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks everyone, not alone then!! I guess I'll get used to it. Could only use it for a week then back to China where I work -- and drive a BMW 525. My wife has an Audi A4 out here but with a 'normal' key. Back soon !!