PDA

View Full Version : info required

maxmax
21-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi
Does anyone know if there were any 2.4 TD VW LT engines that were made without an engine oil dipstick. I've been told there were and that I may have one in my 1992 Volvo. I'v also been told that there weren't any without dipsticks. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

toyink
24-07-2007, 04:57 PM
All engines have dipsticks.
The earlier 2.4 VW lt engines (pre '89) had their dipstick entry point direct into the sump with no hole in the block.
The later versions had the entry point at bottom of the block with no hole in the sump. In your situation someone has rebuilt your engine using the old style block and new style sump thus meaning there is no means of attaching a dipstick (and probably conned you into believing this was how it was manufactured!).

There is no simple way round this problem unfortunately your best bet is to obtain an old style sump with accompanying dipstick tube and dipstick but while you are there why don't you just get rid of the engine altogether, those engines are notoriously unrobust and are always going wrong! And on the rare instance when they are running right they are just not impressive I should know I have a number of them and carried out lots of repairs. Total waste of time. It's got to be the worst diesel engine VW has ever produced. The cousins of this engine the 1.6 (golf) and the 2.0 (audi 100) were great but not the 2.4.