PDA

View Full Version : Fan trouble.

Danozeman
21-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi all.

Iv got a 98 Passat Tdi. There is the viscous fan and an electric fan on the front. The electric fan which i assume is the aircon fan never runs. With or without aircon on. The climate control often flashes a fault which shows up as the triple pressure switch. Is this the trouble with my fan or something different?

Lex Luthor
21-05-2007, 05:47 PM
The electric fan should run all the time the climate is on.

If it is not running then the most likely problem is with the fan itself.
Test by reading its motor resistance from the connector panel near the PS reservoir. The connector with the two thickest wires is the one you want.

If that is ok then the next most likely candidate is the resistor plate that controls the speed of the fan. Test by disconnecting the radiator thermal switch, lower ns of the rad, and short each pair of wires in turn, 1-4 and 2-3. One pair runs the fan at full speed and the other runs at slow speed. If it only does full speed then the r-plate is duff.

The fuses for the fan are under the dash, above the driver's feet, and almost inaccessible :-(
You need to drop the lower dash off to see them: two screws on the end near the main fuse panel and two hidden in the cubby holes.
As I recall there is a 5 amp fuse for the relays and 40 amp for the fan itself.

You can tell I have just had problems with mine can't you :biglaugh:

Danozeman
21-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Ill have a look at that tomorrow thanks mate. Iv had this car about 2 years and its never worked. Im trying to sort out the nigely faults it has.

Danozeman
23-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks like its my fan. Iv got power to the fan but its not turning. wheres the cheapest place to get one??

Lex Luthor
23-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Try GSF or Eurocarparts.