PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Clucking Noise B7 front !

Puresilk
02-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I have noticed recently that with the front windows down when I go over a speed bump or accelerate harshly I can hear a kind of Loud Clicking Clunking sound coming from the front engine. Windows up I can’t hear a thing!

It sounds like its coming from underneath the car at the front!!

Surprisingly the other day I say a 57 Reg car identical to mine going over a speed bump and I heard the exact same Clicking sound?????

Any ideas what this could be?

fourringsrus
02-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Probably bushes worn or gone,but I,m not over familiar with the B7 set up

Stuart

Puresilk
30-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I took it to my local Indy.

They took everything apart and put it back together and said they could not find a fault.

So we agreed to change the CV joint/arm £250 later noise is till there.

Argggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

fourringsrus
30-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi silky, I have just been giving you post another read and I think I have it.
Slightly different car, my 2002 A4 3.0 quattro sport used to do this ,and when jacked up or on ramps a big lever and hammers ,muscles etc could not reproduce the noise until a fitter pal suggested the following, it seemed he had experienced a similar issue before after diong some work on a car with 'brake problems'.
Apparently some after market, or 'non standard/ non factory' parts can cause this rattling.
I stripped down all 4 callipers and cleaned the pad carriers etc and greased/cleaned all parts,and this cured the problem for a while, but eventually the noise returned until I replaced the pads with 'factory ' pads,never heared the noise again.
Another thing very similar when I had a 5 series BMW (sorry boys) was a noise like this which only occurred when creeping over speed humps,turned out to be the front shockers.

Stuart

a8 tech
30-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Sounds like its just the rebound from the lower arm bushes and seems more noticeable on S line models 18 inch wheels

Again why hit the speed bumps at speed and with the window down,your going to hear some feed back from the suspension

There are small plastic spacers between the bushes and the subframe for the inner (off set lower suspension arm)

The noise is like a chirping noise

If its more than this then use chassis ears to localise the noise as with all suspension noises they can be difficult to isolate with so many moving parts and no obvious free play.

Good luck

fourringsrus
31-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah I was going to say that aswell,so much for retirement