PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump Noise AC makes it worse..

Sparky3.0Q
21-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I just recently bought an A4 Avant 3.0Q 03 reg..

The PS pump seems to make a moaning/vibrating noise when I wiggle the steering wheel and the noise increases when I put it on full lock, when the AC is turned on the noise is even louder,

Its really only noticeable at idle but can be very annoying when warm and the AC is working hard.

So far the dealer has replaced AC system, Vbelt, Power Steering Pump and now the noise is less apparent but still there.. :1zhelp:

Has any one else experienced this issue and had it resolved without audi trying to replace the entire set of components in the car rather the doing a proper RCA on the problem. Shoudl I worry about this noise or just put up with it?

Thanks for reading..

Mark

Dansk
22-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi - Its hard to answer because it depends on "how noisey" it is, i do find mine is noisey compared to other makes of car or even my van, but i just live with it. It will always be noisey on full lock because your overloading the pump when the wheels are fully turned. Normaly when the pump mis moaning and groaning it is due to lack of P/S fluid, or there is air in the system, just out of curiosity check the P/S oil level in the resoviour.

Sparky3.0Q
22-05-2007, 08:47 AM
P/S fluid is at max, they only just replaced the PS pump anyway so I would have been very disappointed if fluids weren't correct.

The noise on full lock is OK and as u say just a bit louder than other cars I have owned, that doesn't bother me so much, its when the car is running in idle and I switch the AC from Econ to normal an intrusive humming/moaning noise starts which is exacerbated when then moving the steering wheel to full lock, its noisy enough to replace the engine noise at idle

If I turn the AC back to Econ the noise disappears, but I guess this is because AC and PS pump all run on same belt, so AC loads the belt when running?

Dansk
22-05-2007, 09:18 AM
lol...i wouldnt have expected anything other regarding the fluid but you just never know!

After reading what you have put it strikes me as being the A/C Compressor, this will be affected by the P/S because they run of the same belt, when you say they have replaced the A/c system do you mean the whole thing?

Sparky3.0Q
22-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Yep thats what I took it in for first of all suspecting AC compressor, but they replaced the compressor and dryer and summat else and it made no difference to the noise (altho AC worked better!!)

So Vbelt PS Pump and AC compressor etc. been replaced and now I have no ideas.. god knows what they will try to replace next,

Dansk
22-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Well maybe it the alternater - when you have the A/C on its labouring quite hard to keep the power up in the car, thats about the only thing left!

Sparky3.0Q
22-05-2007, 09:33 AM
That sounds feasible, also when I start the car up the red battery light stays on for quite a while as well, sometimes a few mins, could that be an indication of alternator struggling?

Dansk
22-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Indeed - my light is out straight away, have you noticed the headlights getter dimmer on idle or anything else like the interiour light dim and then slightly brighter on revving the engine?

Sparky3.0Q
22-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Will give that a try, Thanks for your help, will see what the dealer says now..
Would an alternator come under extended warranty or be a wear n tear part? Be a bit of a pain if I have to pay for it after only having the car for a few weeks

Dansk
22-05-2007, 09:41 AM
its hard to say - but i would expect it too come under warrenty, good luck and let us know how you get on.