PDA

View Full Version : b7 or b8

john-mandy
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Tried very hard to work out weather the a4 quattro 3.0 i,m looking to buy is a b7 or b8 model, unfortunetly i don,t have all the info i need on this car, but my decision to buy is fast approaching. the car was registered 28 april 2008 and is the new shape.

It didn't become an issue until i read certain well informed posts on this website relating to the b8 having to be modified at audi, at great expense
in order to tow a caravan,
the very reason i'm purchasing this car, they have in the past contibuted towards the mods, but i think this may now have been discontinued.

could anyone please please throw just a little light on my problem.
please accept my apolegies for posting this on the b7 forum as well

john

tlionhart
01-03-2010, 10:19 PM
if it is the new shape then that is the B8. Other than that what other pieces of information do you know, including images?

April 08 should be the new shape. Although it could easily still be the B7 shape (like last batch or sale from the stock list.)

-B8 is the new generation of the A4. This was introduced to the UK market around FEB 08.

mkc
01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I have limited knowledge of the B7, we had several A3s and BMWs before this my first A4. I would suggest that its the new B8 Shape. Ive seen 08 plates on the B8 which means it was registered 1st March 08 to September 08 which fits within your date. Ive not seen a 57 plate B8 so Im certain yours is a B8.

There were some issues with S Line 30mm drop on 19inch wheels which caused some rubbing when towing. This resulted in the 19inch wheels only being offered on 20mm Sport drop. This could be related to the the fault you mention. Unless its something to do with an after market tow bracket being fixed?

There are a few with knowledge on tow brackets on here so Im sure they'll reply for you soon.

Nice engine if you get it you lucky git!:D

john-mandy
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Its listed on the first page of tvs (total vehicle solutions website), i,m sorry being fifty now, doesn,t bode well with downloading images, it looks like i,m stuffed, the car i dreamed of looks to be no more, audi really messed up with this car for people who love caravaning and want a good car.

many thanks
john

mkc
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
This one?

2008 08 AUDI A4 3.0 TDI Quattro SE 4 Door Saloon
SILVER, 49500 Miles, 240 BHP, LATEST SHAPE, QUATTRO FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, DVD BASED SATELLITE NAVIGATION, FULL BLACK VALCONA LEATHER INTERIOR, HEATED FRONT SEATS, REAR PARKING SENSORS, 5 SPOKE STAR ALLOYS, front centre arm rest, GSM mobile phone preparation, auto headlights, rain sensactivae windscreen, cruise control, full electric windows and wing mirrors, aluminium window surrounds, 60/40 split rear seats, multi function steering wheel, auto dip rear view mirror, isofix child seat preparation, multi air bags with passengers air bag deactivation

Yup, thats a B8. Latest shape. Nice wheels too, upgrade on the SE I think for the 5 spoke wheels.

How do you think that it wont be suitable for towing? Because it doesnt have a factory fit tow bar and you've heard horror stories about getting one fixed?

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA18875&Style=2&Id=AETV44658576&Image=http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AETA18875/AETV44658576_1a.jpg

john-mandy
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry mkc you posted the same time as me, the issue with the mods regarding the quattro relate to upgrading the fan for the radiator, upgraded wiring harness and an upgrade to the alternator all at considerable cost.This only as far as i can gather affects the b8 variant, i,m gutted.

john

mkc
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Sorry mkc you posted the same time as me, the issue with the mods regarding the quattro relate to upgrading the fan for the radiator, upgraded wiring harness and an upgrade to the alternator all at considerable cost.This only as far as i can gather affects the b8 variant, i,m gutted.

john

Sorry. You mean you need all that to enable this car for towing? Blimey. Who told you that the Used Car Dealer or Audi direct?

Come on guys with a tow bar, help this chap get the car of his dreams! Does he really need all that?

john-mandy
01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
mkc,

If you check b8 forum you will see topics relating to my above reply, search towbars for that forum you will see it about half way down, sorry i,m not clever enough to insert links.

john

mkc
01-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah, just found one

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=92838&highlight=tow

Ouch. What a **** up. Maybe worth trying to find one with a factory tow bar. Take a look at www.petrolheads.co.uk

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=769133&nmt=Need%20a%20Tow%20Bar%20for%20an%20Audi%20A4%20 Avant%202008%20S-Line some numbers on this site for people that have had one

john-mandy
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
mkc,
My son just showed me how to insert the link

try this

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68702&highlight=towbars

mkc
01-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Ouch. Whats that about Audi making a £1500 contribution? They really have screwed up havent they. I wouldnt let the search put you off. Im sure there are some with tow bars out there in 3.0TDI. I would assume its those size engines people purchased to tow with. Good luck in your sreach

john-mandy
01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
mkc,

many thanks.

Is there anyone out there who wants to sell a 3.0 quattro with factory fitted tow bar, i,m your man, wifes in tears, looks like a dead end for the quattro, tried to get her to ditch the caravan, she started packing my bags, lost that argument as well

john