PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox issue

tinnyuk75
21-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Hi
Any help appreciated even if you are not sure please offer your thoughts.

I have recently bought a Polo it is a 1.4 CL on an S plate.

I have difficulty engaging 1st gear although can usually get it. Reverse is even harded and it is a real pain.

My first thought is adjusting the linkage between the rods and the selector shaft comming out of the box. Other than that there is a noise from the car with clutch in or out when running but I think that may well be the clutch release bearing. Could the box be gone? If so how hard is it to replace the box. I have done a lot of work on cars but never done a clutch or box before.

As I said don't be shy any help appreciated it is really disheartening to log on day after day and see that the views go up up up but no replies.

Thanks

Justyn

27motorhead
21-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Justyn

Not sure if this will help...

Our 1997 1.9 TDI MK3 started to become difficult to get into first gear... and then into reverse - all other gears were fine. Problem got increasingly worse and found that we had to sometimes pull away in third and once my girlfriend had to push the car out of car parking space as she couldn't engage reverse.

Anyway it was easily solved as a nut had just worked loose on part of the linkage that goes into the gear box. It was on like a swivel plate and you could easily see where the nut should be located due to indent on plate.

Hope yours is as easily solved as ours... not always the case. Apparently depending on what gearbox you have there is also adjustment on the gear lever mechanism itself - ours never had that...

Get someone to help out so you can look at the linkage in the engine bay whilst they're moving the gear lever.

Ta!

tim

tinnyuk75
21-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Tim

I looked here this morning before dragging out the tools just incase someone had something to say.

Thankyou that was the cause.:arms: The nut was tight on the plate but I know that my bro had the engine changed a year or so ago. Looks like another case of bad garage workmanship! Thats why I avoid garages as much as possible. The number of 'repairs' that I have had to fix days or weeks later! The most dangerous ever was a brake line that garage replaced for M.O.T. and a year later it rubbed through leaving no brakes. The new line had been half the correct length and was fouling on the steering rack.:zx11:

Thanks for your reply again

Justyn

27motorhead
21-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Fantastic news Justyn!!!

If only all problems were that simple... and if only garages did what they said they'd do we'd all be a lot happier!!!

Ta!

Tim