PDA

View Full Version : MK3 TDI - Will not start?

pass&golf_tdi
20-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Was running fine today then left it parked for a while and then tried to start, but the engine will not turn over. The ignition lights go on and the glow plug light comes on then goes off, but starter does not engage. The battery is fine & there is no noise from the starter. I have checked with VAG COM & no faults come up. Any ideas what it could be?

Col
20-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Sounds like good old fashioned plain simple starter motor failure to me.

pass&golf_tdi
20-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Possibly, but I am think more along the lines of a, bad earth, relay or the imobiliser circuit? This has happed twice before and after leaving the car overnight it started up fine.

pass&golf_tdi
21-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Left it over night and it started up ok in the morning. When I came back to start it again an hour later...............samething again, engine will not turn over. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

golf tdi 02
21-05-2007, 10:27 AM
well gutted my tdi has made a bearing sound for around a week or so not to worried had a look nothing major..i thought....
came out the house this morning fking car made a really bad expensive sort of pully noise yes i think the cambelt or tensioner has gone wrong
the lights come on but wont turn over def not starter motor
no management lights on dash what to do:zx11:

pass&golf_tdi
21-05-2007, 01:26 PM
VagCom says "17978 (P1570) Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer" what do I do next?

adamss24
21-05-2007, 06:08 PM
VagCom says "17978 (P1570) Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer" what do I do next?
If you have a spare key, use it. If you don't, then i suggest you pay a visit to the dealer and be preppared to pay over 150 quid for a new key ! Dont forget to bring all the keys you have of the car.

golf tdi 02
22-05-2007, 10:58 AM
give your local car locksmith a call not the main dealer they will pull your pants down to have a new key programmed around 40 pounds key cut 12 or 15 pounds the cheap option:beerchug:

pass&golf_tdi
22-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Having read a bit about this, I know I may have to get the keys reprogrammed. But can't understand how the ECU & key could have got out of sync. I have tried cold booting the system i.e. disconnecting the battery and shorting the terminals for 15 sec, no effect. The next thing to try is to trace the wiring for the immobilizer ring around the ignition barrel and make sure that is ok. Any one done this before?

golf tdi 02
22-05-2007, 12:33 PM
yes they do go wrong its a much cheaper option

pass&golf_tdi
01-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Still no luck with starting. Took out an after market alarm system, checked all wiring to immobilizer, seems ok. No more fault codes on Vagcom. Could it be someting simple such as a fuse or relay? Have checked all fuses, but how do I check relays? Also any other relays anywhere other than under the driver dash? Pls help as it's getting desparete now!!!!!!!1

pass&golf_tdi
05-06-2007, 10:49 AM
:biglaugh: Problem sorted, turned out to be a bad earth connection to starter. Tightened starter mounting bolts and all ok. Lesson learned from this experience is not to get carried away with computer diagnostics, check & confirm the basics first:beerchug: