PDA

View Full Version : Black oil after service, is this normal ?

potts1970
27-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I have just had our Touran serviced at our local VW dealer, and as usual I checked the oil after the service. But the oil is still black and doesn't look new/replaced at all.

The car is an 08 plate and it was a 20k service and we are on time and distant. Normally I wouldn't question it, but we have had a few problems with our local dealer since the first service, and now I'm beginning to question everything they are supposed to do. To make us question it further, they had not made the booking for the service and informed us they were very busy and would try and squeeze us in and then after the service the service check list was ticked to say the service indicator had been reset, but it had not.

This may be normal, but this is our first diesel car, so sorry if this is a stupid question. All help appreciated.

Cheers

Crasher
27-02-2010, 09:57 PM
A diesel then so yes, completely normal. I tried to get a clean oil change on a four year old Golf 4 TDI once as an experiment. After four oil changes I gave up…

Once a customer accused me of not changing the oil, after he had picked himself up off the floor and his nose had stopped bleeding, I explained to him that at the time I was doing his oil change, the then editor of VW Motoring had been standing next to me and if he wished for conformation of the task, it could be provided.

planetnz
07-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Yes and no, best thing is to find a local dealer (for example Cat, PACCAR Massy Ferguson!) and get an oil sample Analise done, Its costs bugger all but tells all. a decent one can tell how old the oil is and what sort of condition the engine is in.. serious its worth doing (diesel)