PDA

View Full Version : 1996 vw sharan 2.0 manual non starting

big-green-bus
27-02-2010, 08:31 PM
i have got a 1996 sharan 2.0 manual, it refuses too start! i bought it like this, the person i got it from claimed he had a diagnostic check done, and it said crankshaft/knock sensor, but put a second hand one on and it still refuses to start, but he did say he replaced the batterys in the remote, the light flashes but it does not working the locking or anything for that matter so im guessing its imobilised! is there a way of diactiviating this easily???

kenney
27-02-2010, 08:56 PM
The immo will not stop the engine from starting,if there is a fault with the immo,the engine will start,but stop again after a few seconds.Have you a spark at the plugs?

big-green-bus
27-02-2010, 09:00 PM
i have not tested for a spark yet wil do that in the morning, i have read that the coil pack can be a problem??

big-green-bus
28-02-2010, 07:28 PM
update, have today checked for a spark, THERE IS NO SPARK! so would this be down to the coil???

kenney
28-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes among other things

big-green-bus
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
i put a spark plug on the end of the coil lead and there is no spark there either! does the fault code need to be cleared after fitting a different crank shaft sensor in order for the car to run? are there any other sensors that would stop it from starting? what the most common non- starting faults cured by?

al-one-arm
18-04-2010, 03:19 PM
my friend has the same, p reg sharan petrol manual. firstly it started cutting out(on motorway) then would restart and run , vw garage had it in, fitted a new distributor, driving home, it cuts out, towed back to vw garage, they then had it for 5 weeks, changing the ignition switch, amongst other undisclosed items, they now reckon it needs a new ecu at a cost of £900.
no spark, plenty of petrol. unplugged the coil pack, tested with voltmeter.
brown wire = earth, black wire = 12v(when ignition switched on)
third wire(black/green i think) negative only when cranking, so i assume from that , that the coil pact modulator is not working, removed coil pack, all original, am going to try a new one, how much and where from?

the_old_diver
18-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I had a similar "won't start" with my 97 diesel Sharan, and the problem was that the timing belt pulley was loose on the crankshaft because the keyway was worn. I do not know if this occurs on petrol engined models - others here will be able to answer that. OD

al-one-arm
21-04-2010, 08:25 PM
fitted a new coil/modulator today, started straight away.
you would have thought , by now that vw garages would know about the coils problems, or do they, and are just trying to make as much money as possible from someone elses misery,just like labour.

the_old_diver
21-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Let's hope that's all that was wrong then :-)