PDA

View Full Version : passat 1.8T modifications

timmythedog
19-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I have just bought a very tidy 70k 1.8T estate, 99 T reg, engine code APU. It's an SE, and I wanted a Sport but the price was right. I would like to uprate the suspension. I am more accostomed to Golf gti's. Should I buy standard springs and shocks for a Sport and fit these, or would greater improvements be had by looking at a set of Koni's, for example.

Also would like to up the performance a little. Maybe push it up to the 180bhp zone.

Any thoughts please from anyone who has researched either of these areas???????????

6Speeder
20-02-2006, 05:52 PM
I uprated the suspension on my 98 1.8T with H&R springs and gas shocks. The ride was very firm with virtually no roll (made me want Sport seats!). I personally would use the Audi Sport suspension as having ridden in one i believe it was a better comprimise...i believe the roll bars are thicker also. I think you'll find that factory Sport stuff will be expensive (new) and this may sway you the Koni route (buy the complete kit tho).
As for performance upgrades, you'll get around 200bhp with a remap....i believe ths can be done through the OBD port these days..

Hope this helps

timmythedog
20-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Thank's for that. Useful, sensible suggestions. I have since visited GSF and they do not offer any upgrades. They said Passat Sport kit would probably not give enough of a benefit, and that also I would be looking at other items beyond springs and shocks? ie link arms, anti roll bars, because SE components will be different:confused: ? Is that what you are suggesting as well? I am a mk2 golf man so this is all new territory to me!
Cheers, TTD.

stuart
20-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Thank's for that. Useful, sensible suggestions. I have since visited GSF and they do not offer any upgrades. They said Passat Sport kit would probably not give enough of a benefit, and that also I would be looking at other items beyond springs and shocks? ie link arms, anti roll bars, because SE components will be different:confused: ? Is that what you are suggesting as well? I am a mk2 golf man so this is all new territory to me!
Cheers, TTD.

Hi

As far as I can see, all the suspension components are the same on ALL derivitives of the Passat, regardless of the model or specification, with the exception of the springs and shock absorbers. All the link arms, bushes are the same, anti roll bar may be slightly larger in dia'

If you fit a sports suspension kit from Bilstein, Koni, H & R etc it will should improve the suspension in excess of the standars VW sports package.

As for performance upgrades, visit APR, AMD, or Revo websites, I belive they all do performance upgrades for your engine.

Stuart

6Speeder
20-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Sorry Timmy, i forgot that i was posting in the passat forum :Blush2: . The 1.8T i was refering to was actually a Audi A4 1.8t (not sport). There is a difference in roll bar diameter on the A4 between the Sport and 'hubcap' models, as i checked this out at the time. I can't however comment on the passat of the same year, but as Stuart says its probably just a Shock/spring difference. Even with the smaller roll bar my car would hardly roll....so i would'nt worry about it.
Try Jabbasport for a remap...they're not too expensive

timmythedog
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
After researching many options I have finally made a move and have now had my remap done. I went for a REVO which after failing to down load at first, was tweaked by REVO and then successfully installed. I have about 200bhp and 230lb torque. Initial impressions are good. It flies! Can be driven sensibly and maintains fuel economy, or foot to the floor had me down to 7mpg for a few seconds. Smoothes the performance and holds the boost a lot longer.
Suspension next.