PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt or chain

john-mandy
26-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I,ve really tried hard to find this answer, i am taking up ownership of a 3.0 quattro, not sure at the moment weather its a b7 or b8 build, but it was registered april 2008, new shape. hope someone can help.

towcestervag
26-02-2010, 08:14 PM
petrol or diesel?
auk eng fsi =chain
bkh eng fsi =chain
bng eng diesel =chain
byu eng fsi -chain

Crasher
26-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Chain, be worried...;)

john-mandy
27-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Chain, be worried...;)

Sorry i should have noted its a diesel manual

Thanks for that, i tow a 1100 kg caravan, will there be any maintenence on the chain drive or are they pretty solid, wanted to buy this model when it first appeared, pension at fifty finally makes my dream reality.

I do hope it turns out to be the car i have longed for all these years, any feedback would be appreciated, i have checked other posts and it seems a safe bet

john:D

Crasher
27-02-2010, 07:28 PM
The chains require no maintenance but they do not seem to be lasting over 100K miles in all cases and changing them is a huge engine out job.

john-mandy
27-02-2010, 08:06 PM
The chains require no maintenance but they do not seem to be lasting over 100K miles in all cases and changing them is a huge engine out job.

Crasher thanks again, is it just a case of the chain stretching causing rattle like cars of old, or can there be complete failure, the quattro 3.0 diesel i,m picking up as already completed 41000 miles

john

Crasher
27-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I have heard of them failing and I have had cars in with them rattling but not had to do one of the 3.0 TDI’s yet, thank God! I had a 3.0 TDI A6 quattro auto in a few weeks back with around 50K on and the chains made a fearsome noise on start up. I did an oil change on it and when I started it up, before the oil got through to the tensioners I thought I was going to have a kitten or three!

john-mandy
27-02-2010, 11:00 PM
A slight worry, but i,ve made my mind up, its the quattro or stick with my vectra, i've test driven this car a few times and it sounds mint, bye bye vectra

john