PDA

View Full Version : Stop/Start

Toltol
25-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

Was just talking to my dealer and he said my order has been delayed by 3 weeks due to Audi adding stop/start technology to the 2.0tdi engines. I'm just wondering what people think of this technology and does it work well?

Also got him to add climate control, it has reduced in price by 75%!

tlionhart
25-02-2010, 11:35 PM
its alrite. Its a feature that can be turned off. But im just used to the car running and not going into some 'standby' mode when im stop and in neutral. It certainly does save fuel though.

mproudfoot
25-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Would the S/S be likely to appear on a new TDI 170 Quattro? Not sure if I've seen mention of it being implemented with the haldex system before.

Not that I'm fussed either way, it has it's ups and downs but I'm just curious.

towcestervag
26-02-2010, 12:17 AM
stop start is not new on Audis
they use d to have a stop start system on audis about1981/82
when you stopped it would switch off then restert when clutch and throttle pressed i think it was called ssa

tlionhart
26-02-2010, 01:07 AM
thats right, stop start has been around for ages! I guess its a feature every car owner is gonna have to get use to as its being implemented with all manufactures. However at this time just on specific engine types. I think, within the A3 only the 1.4 and 1.9 and the lower spec version of the 2.0 have it at the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong i've not looked in the brochure lately. Recuperation is the new feature out. When you brake, that energy is used to recharge the battery.

Toltol
26-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Has anybody tried it yet? I'm worried that there might be a delay in acceleration from standstill? Mine will be the 2.0TDI 140bhp with S-tronic.

onemanparty
27-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Has anybody tried it yet? I'm worried that there might be a delay in acceleration from standstill? Mine will be the 2.0TDI 140bhp with S-tronic.

Start / Stop, Yes thats Start / Stop not Stop / Start - Its Gen 2 from Bosch - BMW use Gen 1 - That Marketing for you - But Bosch also call it start / stop

It works fine the engine starts back up as soon as you hit the clutch (Manual) - As tlionhart said you can turn it off - But trust me you will get used to it - In 5 years it will be on all cars

Interesting you will be the first I know to have a Auto with Start / Stop - I am sure it will be fine