PDA

View Full Version : Steel wheels?

ALI B
24-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Im well peed off with all this snow and need to get a pair of steel wheels to fit snow tyres to .
Does anyone know which steel wheels from the VAG will fit my 2006 A4 2.0SE.

Cheers, Ali.

patrickhorton
24-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I have same question for different reason.

Ran over a granite kerb cobble that was lying in the road on Saturday at 60mph. Smashed a 2" square chunk of aluminium out of my front wheel. Can't believe the tyre stayed up all be it with half the side wall peeled back. Discovered damage 5 miles later at home.

Luckily spare was an alloy. Now looking for a cheap steel spare but don't know what size. May go for a pair for same reason as ALI B. Alloys have 18/40/235's on. Is steel spare with low speed rating tyre an MOT fail?

While on speed ratings, what about winter tyres for ALI B? Sure they won't be 140mph whatever code that is.

Patrick

Road Rocket
25-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Sorry I cannot help regards steel wheels. However, as for winter tyres I have an Audi A4 3.0TDI Quattro riding on Nokian WR G2 winter tyres which are excellent and have to be experienced in snow to realise why winter tyres are so good for purpose - they are rated to 149 mph (Code V). There are quite a few winter tyres rated to 140 mph.

I've noticed Mytyres have just started advertising 'Cold Weather' tyres as well as 'Winter' tyres. In this section there is Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 which have excellent review. However, over £200 per tyre - ouch!

sooty
25-02-2010, 02:19 AM
There is another thread about steel wheels for snow chains in this section... Somewhere

winnie070383
25-02-2010, 06:23 AM
I have same question for different reason.

Ran over a granite kerb cobble that was lying in the road on Saturday at 60mph. Smashed a 2" square chunk of aluminium out of my front wheel. Can't believe the tyre stayed up all be it with half the side wall peeled back. Discovered damage 5 miles later at home.

Luckily spare was an alloy. Now looking for a cheap steel spare but don't know what size. May go for a pair for same reason as ALI B. Alloys have 18/40/235's on. Is steel spare with low speed rating tyre an MOT fail?

While on speed ratings, what about winter tyres for ALI B? Sure they won't be 140mph whatever code that is.

Patrick
try a scrap yard and see if there a audi you can take the spaire wheel out of the boot, they normally still have new tyres on them