PDA

View Full Version : brake pads on 04 vw sharan

kadul
23-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi

My brake pad indicator is showing on the screen even though there seems to be good bit of pad left on them.i don’t want to change them when there is 1500 miles or so left on them…
Was told there was a sensor on left hand front and right hand rear and this can be put off the screen by joining the wires. Is this true?

bmwdumptruck
23-02-2010, 11:13 AM
No doubt someone else will confirm, but these sensors usually work by earthing the wire through the disc when the pads are worn down enough to touch it. So normally joining together wouldn't be the option, but I may be wrong with a more modern alternative system.

I serviced my brakes at the weekend and found that the rear disc was wearing leaving the usual edge that was then wearing the sensor prematurely. Bad design to place it right on the edge of a disc, although I suspect a dealer would say its like that cos it then indicates you need new discs as well.

Our warning lights paly up all the time, always have done, so I just ignore it but keep a good eye on the pads themselves, its easy enough to see them through the wheels.

kadul
23-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I joined the back wires just to see and drove about a mile and the disc indicator has went out so must work.,.,.

zollaf
23-02-2010, 02:47 PM
most cars use a warning system that earths a single wire onto the disc when the pads are worn to put the light on. the vw system has two wires and when the sensor within the pad gets worn out, it breaks the connection and the light comes on. this is so that if a sensor wire breaks, it will then put the light on. the more common single wire system will do nothing if a wire breaks. so joining the wires together will put the light out. obviously there is a legal minimum thickness on brake pads, and no doubt they are very close to this now.

kadul
23-02-2010, 05:02 PM
there was fair bit left on mine and light come on weeks ago,
only passed the mot test with no problems last friday...

zollaf
23-02-2010, 05:15 PM
the light can come on fairly early, thus giving you plenty of warning. the mot doesnt test the thickness of the pads, unless the tester can see that they are low, usually through very open alloy wheels. just be aware that if the sensor is on one side only, the other side can be more worn out.