PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt change at what age/mileage

Johnboyc
19-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Reading the manual, it seems that my Nov 03 2.5TDi Avant Quattro Sport (180) needs the cambelt changing at 80K miles.

I have also heard that the belt should be changed when the car is 4 years old (nothing detailed in the service book).....so as my car has only done 25K miles when should the cam belt actually be changed.........cos I cannot wait to spend loads of cash getting it done (err NOT!) !

Cheers

JC

onzarob
19-05-2007, 06:06 PM
It needs changing now as the belt start to perish after 4 years.

Rob:D

Johnboyc
19-05-2007, 07:03 PM
It needs changing now as the belt start to perish after 4 years.

But I have only just purchased from York Audi......SURELY they would of informed me !

onzarob
19-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Well thats the VW recommended time, if they sold it with full service history, then it should of been done. 'eshurles' on the forum had the same issue and got it replaced for free by the garage. there is a therad somehwere on it, try and do a search.

Rob

stua4
21-05-2007, 11:46 PM
mine needs doing now. Should I go audi dealer or not.....

Johnboyc
22-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Well thats the VW recommended time, if they sold it with full service history, then it should of been done. 'eshurles' on the forum had the same issue and got it replaced for free by the garage. there is a therad somehwere on it, try and do a search.

Rob

Well, I called Audi UK up and asked their technical dept, and was informed that the cambelt is to be changed at 80K miles....no age limit.....so I have asked Audi for a letter in writing confirming this....
....and should the worst happen and the cambelt break before 80K miles, I will be heading to the small claims court !

Fettler
22-05-2007, 08:59 PM
mine needs doing now. Should I go audi dealer or not.....
Try and find a recommended local independant, will save you lots.:D

Lee_m
24-05-2007, 08:47 PM
how much would this cost to change at audi?

onzarob
24-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, I called Audi UK up and asked their technical dept, and was informed that the cambelt is to be changed at 80K miles....no age limit.....so I have asked Audi for a letter in writing confirming this....
....and should the worst happen and the cambelt break before 80K miles, I will be heading to the small claims court !

I would get the belt check out, that advice is somwhat against the industry. Alfa has half all it milage recommendation for there cars as well.

I also have a xsara and it done 70,000 belt change at 80,000 I check the belt at 68k and it was cracked and perished(I booked it in next day!).

I would ring a couple of garages and i'm sure they will give you the state of play.

As for costs I was quoted £415 inc all belts and water pump from the Audi dealer, who also have a VW dealership and charge less an hour there!!!!

skymaster
25-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Funny how Audi will say the belt needs doing due to it's age when the car is in for a service and you will end up paying for it. But... when they have sold you a car all of a sudden it's OK to leave it until the miles rack up!

Maybe be shrude, call their service department and say you think you want to book it in for a cambelt. Say it's 4 years old and ask if it needs doing? If they say 'Yes sir, it must be done after 4 years or catastrophic engine damage may result' get their name then call the sales manager and ask him to get it booked in for free!

MalcQV
25-05-2007, 07:51 AM
This cambelt thing is becoming a big deal. On another car forum I use the manufacturer (apparently) say if your car is older than 1990 to change it every two years regardless of mileage and if it is newer every three years.

I reckon there is a bit of scaremongering these days, either that or big Belt and Braces, pun intended :p

Lores
29-05-2007, 05:46 PM
HI Onzarob, recently my little red Volkswagen Polo has seen its 60,000th birthday and I was wondering if you could advise me if a cam belt change is required. last year my local garage said (i think!) 70,000 miles. Obviously having had the nasty experience of a dead Rover all those years ago I could do with some sound advice. Cheers:)

onzarob
29-05-2007, 05:55 PM
HI Onzarob, recently my little red Volkswagen Polo has seen its 60,000th birthday and I was wondering if you could advise me if a cam belt change is required. last year my local garage said (i think!) 70,000 miles. Obviously having had the nasty experience of a dead Rover all those years ago I could do with some sound advice. Cheers:)

Unforunalty i would say your cambelt will need changing, especially if its over 4 years old, But if you expect me to rescue this time, I will not, your to far away :biglaugh:

(For all the people who don't get this, its my sister asking the question!!!!)

dub love
29-05-2007, 06:23 PM
right, you should really change all the belts on any second hand car when you buy it, this gives you peace of mind and pleasureable driving with no ifs or buts. doesnt matter whether you bought it from audi or from another garage, unless they actually say to you, {ive had all the belts changed}.
if not than id get it booked in somewhere and get the work done.

cheeers

:beerchug:

(shuffle records)

RickT
29-05-2007, 07:40 PM
right, you should really change all the belts on any second hand car when you buy it, this gives you peace of mind and pleasureable driving with no ifs or buts. doesnt matter whether you bought it from audi or from another garage, unless they actually say to you, {ive had all the belts changed}.
if not than id get it booked in somewhere and get the work done.

cheeers

(shuffle records)

UNLESS.. the cam belt has been done at Audi, and is stamped in the book as changed and the milage stated.

Dont hold me on this, but i thought Audi warrenty the CAM belt ONLY for 3 years or 60k miles if changed at a dealer..

Dont hold me on that.. i will do some digging..

RickT

onzarob
30-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I would agree with you Dub love, I ddin't do my Audi stratight away, but when I did, 5000 miles alter, it was found to be slack...lucky I don't drive like I used too;)

Rick, I wouldn't expect any garage these days to garantee a cambelt past the first hundred miles or so....to risky and expensive!

Lex Luthor
30-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Rick, I wouldn't expect any garage these days to garantee a cambelt past the first hundred miles or so....to risky and expensive!

I just did the cambelts on both of my Passats with genuine VW parts and was assured that there was a 2 year warranty on them.
If any failure did occur then the questions of consequential loss and "competent" installer would arise.........

dub love
31-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I would agree with you Dub love, I ddin't do my Audi stratight away, but when I did, 5000 miles alter, it was found to be slack...lucky I don't drive like I used too;)

if u change them, than theres nothing 2 worrie about hey

[shuffle records] myspace/sikenway