PDA

View Full Version : Water pump and Alternator Belt - Necessary?

Maximus2k3
22-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi all,

My '05 1.9TDI is going into Highland Audi next week for a basic service and cambelt change, as it is now 5 years old. When ringing up, the guy on the service desk also advised me to change the water pump and alternator belt.

Is this really necessary? As I say its only 5 yrs old with 50k on the clock.

I wouldn't mind, but it adds and extra £120 onto the bill, meaining in total it would be nearly £600!!!

Any advice welcome!

Cheers!

MeAudi
22-02-2010, 07:47 PM
The problem with the water pump is that if it is changed later then the cost will be much higher.

Does this mean that the garage wants £480 for a cambelt change?

Audi are doing fixed price servicing and the cambelt is list at £349!

Might be worth haggling......

Maximus2k3
22-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Maybe I was a bit misleading there!

Yes it's £349 for the cambelt change; with the extra for the alternator and water pump, it's £470. The extra £100 is for the servicing that is being done at the same time!

As it stands I've just asked them to do the cambelt and advise me on the states of the pump while they're in there.

vwcabriolet1971
22-02-2010, 09:28 PM
So when do you plan to get the water pump replaced - when it fails with an overheated engine and associated cylinder head gasket & head skim ?
This is really a no brainer . There is no extra labour when ribbed alternator belt is replaced - just the cost of the belt. £120 sounds about right to cover extra labour for pump , cost of pump , coolant change and new ribbed belt.

DBSK
25-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I had my cambelt changed and didn't change the water pump - false economy - had to have the water pump replaced 8 months later at a cost of £200 odd! Part only costs £30 odd.

sooty
26-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I had my cambelt changed and didn't change the water pump - false economy - had to have the water pump replaced 8 months later at a cost of £200 odd! Part only costs £30 odd.

Blimey... I guess thats why they say its best to do as the same time.

Puresilk
02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
When doing the cambelt or toothed belt changed it is also advisable to replace the waterpump as its only the cost of the part £30 or so, rather then in failing later on and you have to pay all that labour to get a £30 part replaced.

Change the Alternator belt too might aswell as your doing a big service.

Maximus2k3
03-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the responses guys,

After your comments and a bit more research, I decided to bite the bullet and get it done with the cambelt change.

Knowing my luck the pump would fail halfway down the A9 in the Highlands leaving me totally screwed!

Cheers all,

Max