PDA

View Full Version : Speakers not working

njonesn
21-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi.
The speakers in the passenger side door are not working.
All other speakers, including the central dash speaker, are working.
Very occasionally the passenger door speakers do pop into life but only of a few moments and they do not seem to correspond to a bump in the road etc.

I have had this on previous cars where there has been a broken cable but I am aware that in the Audi there is a comfort control unit or something under the passenger seat. Could this be causing a problem?

Can anyone advise on the wiring path from the stereo to the speakers?

Thanks
Nathan

Turbokiisseli
22-02-2010, 07:36 AM
95% sure it's the door wiring loom. Remove the rubber boot between the door and the frame by prying it out from the frame side. Inspect the wires for damage, open the connector and clean out all the factory grease and reassemble.

ghosty
22-02-2010, 03:10 PM
i have a similar problem on my passenger side where the speaker suddenly stopps working. i have a very non technical fix for it but fairly certain that it will probably not work for you. what i do when the speaker stops working is to whack the volume on the radio up high and the speaker just jumps back to life. this method has been working for me for a couple of years now (touch wood). as i said not very technical, i cant explain it but works for me :D
g

njonesn
22-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys. Have already tried upping the volume, this used to work on a previous car of mine, but is not working this time.

Will check out the connection between the door and the frame once the weather improves.

Cheers

njonesn
01-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Well the connections were fine and after cleaning the speaker still did now work however I tried turning the volume right up again, this time with the fader and balance all to the passenger side and the speaker kicked into life....thanks ghosty!

Here's hoping it lasts!

ghosty
02-03-2010, 02:52 PM
splendid!
never thought of myself as a mechanic before :D

fulcrum111
08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I mistakenly removed the rubber boot from the door, not the frame, and can't get it back on again. Can anyone tell me how to release the black plastic fitting the sits into the door - the rubber boot fits arount this.

BMurr
20-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Old thread I know but this info might help someone. I have a dead speaker on drivers door. Tweeter still works but main one in door not. So I took door card off to see if there might be a loose wire in crossover. Of course I find that there isn't any crossover ( speaker connection to tweeter just piggybacks the main speaker connector)as audi seem to skimp on the speakers ( what a feeble looking magnet on speaker)and the speaker is indeed totally dead ( 0 current flows through it, touching contacts with a battery don't even make a sound). So lesson learned is that if tweeter still working then wires to door are Ok and the problem is the main door speaker itself. Without a replacement speaker I had to put it all back together again and will leave it that way till I've sourced the replacement speakers( MB Quart or Focus)