PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Automatic gearbox problem

Kitshnkarma
21-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi

can anyone help with an automatic gearbox problem I'm having?

When I first start the car and pull away it pulls away like a manual with a slipping clutch, it will change up a couple of gears but then suddenly clunk down into 1st or 2nd the revs go really high and it slows down like you've hit the brakes. After doing this for a minute or so there's then a loud clunk and it seems to have gone into the "Back up" mode. All the gear indicator lights on the dash are lit instead of just lighting upjust the "D". It then seems to change gear ok but won't pull away very fast from a standstill and there's a strange sweet burning sort of smell.

Is there any way of getting the gearbox controller reset or diagnosed without going to an Audi dealer?

Many thanks for anyhelp you can offer.

audia4lyn
21-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi there,
is there any sludge in the header tank, is the oil level ok, check the codes for errors.

Kitshnkarma
22-02-2010, 01:03 AM
hi
what header tank and where would the codes be - sorry am a bit dim - trip meter shows in2 when i turn it on.

audia4lyn
22-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi
The header tank is where you top up engine coolant, if this has got sludge in it, it could be gear oil getting into the rad and therefore water getting into the gearbox. the codes are read by plugging in a diagnostic tool, look on the wab, or take it to a garage that can do this.