PDA

View Full Version : Golf MKIV Shaking

sunilnc
18-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi

I've got a 1.4 16V MK4 golf. When the cars in neutral it shakes a lot and often the Engine Light begins to blink every now and again. Anyone had this problem before and know a way to fix it? My friend said the throttle probably needs cleaning. So might give that a go, but anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Shipz
19-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi mate..

New to this site so not sure how or if this is going to come out alright...but does the car drive alright?
I did have a problem with my Bora recently where the whole car was shaking while staionary plus when driving...and the warning light also came on...

At the end it was a coil pack which was misfirin, so i had to change that.

It has something to do with the ignition i think,

Hope this info helps; and hopefully its nothing too serious!

Shipz:biglaugh:

RickT
19-05-2007, 12:55 AM
if it was a newer model i would say a coil pack issue..

But as the lump is older.. could be a MAf issue.. or even a simple spark plug issue..

i would first replace the spark plugs and take it from there..

Let us know how you get on

RicKT

sunilnc
19-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi mate..

New to this site so not sure how or if this is going to come out alright...but does the car drive alright?
I did have a problem with my Bora recently where the whole car was shaking while staionary plus when driving...and the warning light also came on...

At the end it was a coil pack which was misfirin, so i had to change that.

It has something to do with the ignition i think,

Hope this info helps; and hopefully its nothing too serious!

Shipz:biglaugh:

Thanks Ships and RickT for the info.

Ships...it drives alright, just that when its in stationary it shakes and the warning light does tend to come on now and again.

The coil pack misfiring...can this be easily changed and how do I go about doing it? Any help would be appreciated.

Shipz
20-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Its not too difficult nor expensive..

I've got the 1.6 16v, and that has a coil pack for each cylinder...

Had to put the car through a diagnostic machine to find out which one was misfirin, but if your car drives ok, then it must be something else...FYI a caoil pack is located in the engine under the black air thing on top of the engine, just need to undo a few nuts then the harness adapter and it will pop staight out and they're only around £27 or so from the main dealer (and only original genuine parts fit)

not the best with car stuff, so i can't really suggest what your prob may be!

If you know a mechanic, best thing may be to put it through the computer to see whats wrong