PDA

View Full Version : touran 1.9 tdi starting fault

tractor fixer
19-02-2010, 09:19 PM
hello everyone i have bought a vw touran 1.9 tdi 55 reg from the auctions on starting the car it fires but wont continue to run unless you put your foot down on the throttle it then runs with a temporary misfire which clears and the car runs fine until i go to restart the car there are no engine management lights on the only thing i can think is that the carpets have been cleaned and are soaking wet and also the epc light is on the dash full time which the book says theres a fault in the system and finally does anybody know where i can get a rear parcel shelf for the car many thanks

Crasher
19-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Get a fault code read done and this should tell you what is wrong.

You can buy a parcel shelf from the local VW spares department.

tractor fixer
19-02-2010, 09:55 PM
thanks crasher will borrow a friends laptop with the software on and read the codes not planning vw prices for a new parcel shelf. Plus is the the cambelt change on the 55 reg 1.9 tdi much different to doing a 1.9 tdi passat on vreg:biglaugh::Blush:

Crasher
19-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Yes the cam belt is a swine due to some idiot thinking it was a good idea to put an engine mount there that you cannot remove, very cleaver Fritzy!

As for not paying VW prices for a parcel shelf, well you will have to spend time finding one on fleaBay.

tractor fixer
19-02-2010, 10:03 PM
thanks again crasher will get the belt and have a crack at it soon

Crasher
19-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Get a FULL kit and water pump, not just the belt.

tractor fixer
20-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I got a full kit today and carried out cam belt change successfully in 2 hours, has for the water pump it was changed 2 months ago according to the service history but no receipt for cam belt, the only other problem i had was while the car was sat the axle stand i ran the car and after about 5mins smoke started pouring out of the middle of the car has soon has i put the car down on the drive the problem then when car stopped a noise came from around drivers wing for about 5 minutes, now can anybody tell me what the webasto unit in the inner drivers wing and according to the car it hasnt got auxillary heating

matthewgdavies
21-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Well your car is wrong! If you normally start from cold and drive a fair distance then you would never hear it as it will cut out when coolant is up to proper temp - the smoke appears when the glow plug is failing or the unit is run at unusual angles (as in your case) - shame you can't turn it on at will as it would be dead handy for hiding your reg plate from GATSOS ! The noise is the fan running on to cool the unit after use and is quite normal.

Crasher
21-02-2010, 10:18 PM
The glow plug units fail in the aux heater but you have to replace the complete inner burner section, I have one to do in the next week or so, the parts are on the shelf ready for the car to come in.

tractor fixer
21-02-2010, 10:24 PM
I have realised my problem was down to me not reconnecting the fuel supply pipe to the heater unit now reconnected and the fault has gone silly me but ive got broad shoulders so dont mind owning up many thanks anyway

tractor fixer
21-02-2010, 10:29 PM
has ive got hold of a laptop with the vag software on can anyone please advise to where i find the diagnostic plug

Crasher
21-02-2010, 11:09 PM
One is only human...

tractor fixer
22-02-2010, 10:35 PM
plugged in computer 2 reoccurring fault codes which are 16725 camshaft position sensor implausable signal do you think this will cause my starting issue?
And the other code is 01435 brake pressure sensor1 first and foremost could somebody tell me where this sensor is situated has i have no clue any advise greatly appreciated

Crasher
23-02-2010, 11:50 AM
01435 is the G201 sensor inside the pump and as far as I know this cannot be repaired although some companies are looking into it. It is an extremely common problem and means a new ABS pump. The hall sender issue is normally the valve timing, has it had a cam belt?

zollaf
23-02-2010, 01:25 PM
aye, it took him 2 hours. :D and a water pump 2 months ago.

Crasher
23-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Bet he didn’t use locking tools…

zollaf
23-02-2010, 02:38 PM
im not going to bet against you there. tippex and pray.:D

tractor fixer
23-02-2010, 10:08 PM
locking pins were used and the starting fault was with the car when i bought it from auction on friday plus before removing cam belt checked phonic wheel location with pointer on rear cover and then again after fitting new cam belt, the water pump was changed two months previous acording to service history not done by myself.

tractor fixer
23-02-2010, 10:12 PM
New cam sensor on order with vw and will get fitted the abs fault ive been told by local dealer that has the car has full service history and that it is a known fault to vw it may get replaced cheaper has a goodwill gesture, personally i feel they should follow in the footsteps of toyota and sort the problem out

zollaf
23-02-2010, 10:20 PM
normally when a cambelt is fitted without following the correct procedure, the result is the fault you have. obviously you have done it properly. you said earlier theres no engine management light. do you mean it doesnt come on at all, or comes on and goes off.

Crasher
23-02-2010, 10:22 PM
That is a subject discussed long and hard on this forum BUT Toyotas problems are direct safety issues where people could be hurt in a normal driving situation, the failure of the ESP is not deemed to be a safety issue.

tractor fixer
23-02-2010, 10:26 PM
with response to zollaf the engine doesnt come on at all. All i can think is that whoever fitted the water pump has caused the problem when i had the laptop connected when i managed to clear the code for a while the car started ok

Crasher
23-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Disconnect the cam position sensor and see if it starts.

tractor fixer
24-02-2010, 10:30 PM
F.A.O crasher just want to pick your brains i set up the cam shaft spot on and had no problems doing so, The only problem i had was that the cam belt book showed a pointer on the crank pulley and one on the crank seal cover which is not on my car there is a groove on the front face but no other marks visible now my only worry is that the new sensor wont cure my problem is there any positive way of finding tdc it is a 55reg registered 01/06 with a bru engine code 1.9 tdi 90 many thanks for your patients

Crasher
24-02-2010, 11:10 PM
You need a crank locking plate. If you followed Autodata it is wrong, they make you set it a tooth out. In the last few weeks I have been through this over and over again including several times with local companies who I have lent my tools to. There is a mark on the flywheel if you can see it but it is easier to use the proper crank locking plate. If you disconnect the hall sender and it starts, your valve timing is wrong.

tractor fixer
25-02-2010, 09:03 PM
many thanks crasher is the hole on the top of the bell housing for the tdi mark has i am unable to get my hands the proper tool i am a mobile agricultural engineer so have a good supply of flexi mirrors and a good torch, on my passat tdi there is a hole on top of the bell housing so i was able to set it up sorry for being a pain in the ****

tractor fixer
25-02-2010, 09:37 PM
managed to get hold of a locking kit and went out and disconnected hall sensor car started every time. Couldnt find inspection hole in top of bell housing appears to be a blank i bow to your superior knowledge

Crasher
25-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Have you set it up yet?

tractor fixer
25-02-2010, 10:32 PM
not has of yet sat on the driveway and it is lashing down so will attempt it at the weekend

tractor fixer
27-02-2010, 05:51 PM
set up ok apppeared to be half a tooth out car starts and runs without throttle down one happy camper many thanks for your suggestions and to crasher for your patients

zollaf
27-02-2010, 05:52 PM
well done.:beerchug: