PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Snow has damaged my wiper!

soulstyler
19-02-2010, 02:07 PM
I started the engine on my 98 passat today with a load of snow onb nthe windscreen and didnt realise the wipers were switched on. They tried but failed to push the snow off and since then the left one will only wipe to half way. Have I knackered the motor or will a bit of wd-40 do the trick?

mouche100
19-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi, I'd say mark where both wipers (espescially the one thats working fine) are positioned on the spindles ( the bit that pokes up through the base of the wiper arm) and then take both the wipers off to observe the linkage and rotation of the spindles. This may take a bit of pulling so just be careful and dont spare the WD40. It may be that the mechanical linkage between both spindles is damaged/out of synch or it may be a case where due to the massive amount of snow on the wiper that one of the spindles 'slipped' around inside the base of the wiper arm instead of making it turn with it. The spindle has teeth and is shaped somewhat like a cone to make sure it fits tight into the base of the wiper arm. So if both spindles are rotating at at the same rate and to the same degree then the motor and linkage is probably fine and it should just be a matter of replacing the good wiper (according to the marks you made before you removed it from its spindle) and repositioning the other wiper arm, probably best done when the wipers are in their rest position.

soulstyler
20-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for your help, turns out I just needed to take off and put the wiper back on again, worrked a treat thanks. Dunno if you can explain why my rear gets half way round, stops momentarily then carries on. Never done anything about it cus it aint realy a problem but does look funny, just waiting for it to stop completely one day. Think it may be becuase it collided with a bike rack once!

mouche100
20-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Think it may be becuase it collided with a bike rack once! Oops!

I presume its a hatchback you have then? I'd say it could be something mechanical out of synch like your front wiper, it might be that something is bent from the phycical collision with the bike rack, and if so it can probably be taken off the car and bent back again with a bit of care, if not inspect the motor's range of movement, good luck

creedxup
20-02-2010, 05:25 PM
The rear wiper has a known problem which is the tube up the centre that carries the fluid. It corrodes and causes the wiper to stick and then free off, eventually it will fail completely and may already be leaking into your tailgate.

soulstyler
20-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanx for your help chaps, the last thought was interesting as my rear washer has never worked since i bought the car a year ago. I have had a brief look inside the tailgate and couldnt see any sign of water so just assumed it is blocked/broken but isnt a problem. Which parts due think would be worth replacing to get the wiper and washer working, seem to remember there being a washer fix kit or something? Thanks for your input.
G