PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Jetta GLX A/C Problem

Joel Sipe
18-05-2007, 03:19 PM
A couple of weeks ago I installed an iPod controller in my Jetta and now my air conditioning is behaving very strangly. The installation required the removal and reinstallation of my Alpine CD player, and I was afraid that somehow a wire was unplugged, or part damaged. The problem is as follows: After the installation I noticed that my A/C only works when the fan is on the lowest setting (1). If I turn the fan up to 2, the A/C shuts off (indicated by the A/C switch light turning off and an audible change in the engine sound as the compressor is disengaged). When I turn the fan back from 2 to 1, the light turns back on, and I can hear the compressor engage. When the fan is on 1, almost no air comes out o the vents. The fan is either barely running or off. As I turn the fan from 1 to 2, cold air comes out of the vents for maybe 30 seconds. This indicates to me that the compressor is running and functional with the fan set at 1, but when the fan is turned up and the light shuts off, the compressor is no longer engaged. So the problem is not the compressor or the refrigerant, but possibly in the electrical system. I thought that the fan and A/C control switches could be the problem, so I replaced them, and no luck. I am confused and running out of ideas. Anyone have a clue what could be causing this?