PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a dipped-beam indicator in your instrument cluster?

toff
18-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi,

Just a quickie..

When i put my sidelights on, a little symbol with two green lights appears in the central part of my instrument cluster.

When I put my dipped beam on, no symbol illuminates in the instrument cluster - is this normal for the B6?

I seem to remember on my B7 a symbol like this appeared:
http://www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/assets/hcimages/DippedBeam.gif

Cheers
Al.

stchris356
18-02-2010, 01:38 PM
It's normal, no indicator for dipped beam!

fulcrum111
18-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Same here, no indicator for dipped beam, its a bit of a pain but what can you do!!

Embisix
18-02-2010, 02:24 PM
My 'lights on' indicator stays on regardless (sidelights or dipped). So maybe it depends on year/coding.

DBSK
18-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Why would you drive around with your sidelights on anyway?! Either headlights or no lights IMO.

Issac Hunt
18-02-2010, 04:31 PM
You can turn on/off the indication with VAG-COM.

toff
19-02-2010, 01:43 AM
You can turn on/off the indication with VAG-COM.

Hi,

Issac.. Do you mean just for the sidelights or for independent indication for the dipped beam? http://www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/assets/hcimages/DippedBeam.gif

I've had a look at the instrument cluster with a torch and I can't see the silhouette of a dipped beam symbol.

DBSK.. I know what you mean but sidelights are good for dull days (acting like DRLs) and are worth using if your commute includes short illuminated tunnels or underpasses etc... all stuff you wouldn't really want your full headlights on for, dont you think?

Al.

DBSK
19-02-2010, 05:04 PM
DBSK.. I know what you mean but sidelights are good for dull days (acting like DRLs) and are worth using if your commute includes short illuminated tunnels or underpasses etc... all stuff you wouldn't really want your full headlights on for, dont you think?

Al.

Not really, i drive with my headlights on no matter what the weather, side lights are for leaving on when parked on a busy street IMO, each to their own though.
:beerchug:

Issac Hunt
19-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi,

Issac.. Do you mean just for the sidelights or for independent indication for the dipped beam? http://www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/assets/hcimages/DippedBeam.gif

I've had a look at the instrument cluster with a torch and I can't see the silhouette of a dipped beam symbol.

Al.

Mine had an indicator that came on when sidelights and/or dipped beam was on and another seperate one for main beam.

toff
19-02-2010, 08:12 PM
side lights are for leaving on when parked on a busy street IMO

Or the parking lights... if you don't want your battery to go flat :)

It's a shame manufacturers don't build-in low current LED parking lights which can be left on all night without risk of draining the battery. I guess the newer cars do have LED sidelights?

On the Audi stand at Goodwood last year, I read that the new RS6 is the first production car to have LED main / full beam headlights. I would have thought they would have debuted on the Merc S-Class!

Al.