PDA

View Full Version : Parking sensors

genix
17-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had parking sensors (front/rear) retro-fitted on a Golf Plus, and would like to share his experience.

Thanks,

towcestervag
19-02-2010, 12:18 AM
not fitted any to golf plus but there are some good aftermarket kits out there which fit nice and arent to bad to fit

genix
19-02-2010, 09:22 AM
not fitted any to golf plus but there are some good aftermarket kits out there which fit nice and arent to bad to fit

Hi towcestervag, could you please recommend one which would fit?

I have asked my local garage which quoted me £385 (!), and that's just for the rear ones; they said VW don't install front sensors for Golf Plus.

Of course, they also hinted that a job done by an independent garage might invalidate the VW warranty on electrics (I'm wondering if that's indeed true...).

Thanks,

markyp11
26-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi genix, about to order some for our Golf Plus, recently fitted a set from a company called Dolphin (they won the best aftermarket parking sensors, on the Auto Express magazine test) on my dads car, Mercedes C class, very easy and good quality. The set I fitted were just the rears (£49.95) but because of the 'hidden front' on the golf plus I will be ordering a 6 piece set (2/front and 4/rear) set at £75.95.

genix
27-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi genix, about to order some for our Golf Plus, recently fitted a set from a company called Dolphin (they won the best aftermarket parking sensors, on the Auto Express magazine test) on my dads car, Mercedes C class, very easy and good quality. The set I fitted were just the rears (£49.95) but because of the 'hidden front' on the golf plus I will be ordering a 6 piece set (2/front and 4/rear) set at £75.95.

Thanks markyp, I'd appreciate a link if possible, please.

Are you planning to fit them yourself?

markyp11
03-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi genix, yes I intend to fit them myself, very easy if the last ones are anything to go by.
Here is a link to the company, I bought them directly.
http://www.dolphin-direct.co.uk/dolphin_fitting.asp

Here is a link to the product test from the AutoExpress mag
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/219036/parking_aid_test.html

genix
03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi markyp, thanks for the links. They do look good value indeed, and I am very tempted by the DPS650 (http://www.dolphin-direct.co.uk/dolphin_6_parking_system_visual_display_and_audio. asp), as I find the addition of a visual indicator for just a tenner a particularly good deal.

In my searches I came across the Valeo Beep & Park/Keeper (http://www.valeoservice.com/html/unitedkingdom/en/actualitesdetail.php?wid=16255191094772E0CC1968D) system (advertised as offering also protection for the parked vehicle), but I could not find any feedback on it. I was wondering if you have any idea how efficient this "anti bump" system really is... :confused:

I am now looking for a detailed "How to" fitting guide for Golf Plus, as I don't feel very confident with getting the bumpers out and wiring inside the car (especially coming in from the front bumper); if you have/know any link, that would be very much appreciated, thank you.

markyp11
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I never actually used an online guide for for the fitting, there were some excellent instructions with the kit. The rear ones I fitted to my Dads car did not involve removing the bumper, I managed to get my hands up between the bumper and bodywork to feed the wires through and used an existing rubber grommit to gain entry into the boot.
The Valeo kit looks very comprehensive and Valeo is a well known brand, however my thoughts are that the visual aid may well be of little use as when I am reversing I still turn round and look towards the rear of the car and use the audiable bleep as an extra aid. I'm not sure I'd want to watch a screen in front of me, and rely soley on that, whilst reversing.
So far we've only had the Golf a couple of weeks so still learning about it, but access to behind the bumpers looks ok and you can remove the grills around the spot lights to give better access at the front.

genix
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree looking at a display while reversing might seem a bit odd... though I understand the Dolphin visual display can be mounted on the tailgate so it can be seen in the main mirror (and I thought would be good to have it for just an extra tenner).

I mentioned Valeo not for their display (which I find large and ugly to be fitted onto the dashboard) but for the 'park and guard' feature, which activates signals/horn when another car comes too close (though it might be quite annoying with close street parking) -- I was wondering what's your opinion about this feature...

I am not sure if you can have easy access to behind the bumpers with the Golf Plus, though I did not have a look myself yet (I too have the car for only about a month...). The few guides I've seen online (but I could not find any for Golf Plus!) they were all mentioning that you need to take the bumper off, though it would be great if it works without... please let me know how you manage to do it...

genix
29-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Hi,
anyone any experience with Valeo sensors (http://www.valeoservice.com/html/unitedkingdom/en/actualitesdetail.php?wid=16255191094772E0CC1968D)?

genix
26-02-2011, 02:28 PM
... So far we've only had the Golf a couple of weeks so still learning about it, but access to behind the bumpers looks ok and you can remove the grills around the spot lights to give better access at the front.

Hi markyp,
I was wondering how you did about installing the sensors on your Golf Plus?

Thanks and regards,

markyp11
26-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi markyp,
I was wondering how you did about installing the sensors on your Golf Plus?

Thanks and regards,
Hi genix,

Sorry never got round to fitting them, the sensors are still sat in the box in the cupboard. My wife decided to exchange the Golf for a Picasso because of the ride quality...

genix
27-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi genix,

Sorry never got round to fitting them, the sensors are still sat in the box in the cupboard. My wife decided to exchange the Golf for a Picasso because of the ride quality...

I see... is she happier with the Picasso? How does it compare to the old Plus?

markyp11
27-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Yes she's happy with the Picasso, much much better ride, lots of toys (Grand Picasso Exclusive model) with some nice quality materials on the inside. However it does not feel anywhere as near well screwed together as the Golf Plus did, and its averaging 10mpg less (45 compared to 55), but its huge... I guess you pay's yer money...