PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Please help - I'm terrified to drive my Sharan!!!

nicola-bond
17-02-2010, 10:15 PM
:(Hello everyone. I'm new and hope someone can help me.

For the past couple of weeks my car has had what we thought at first was a misfire. The car would drive fine then the rev counter would drop to zero for a second, the car would jerk then it would run ok. This happened a couple of times and my first thought was "bad fuel". So i booked it in for a full service which happened yesterday. Before we even got it to the garage; over the weekend the car cut out on me a couple of times then wouldnt start. Leave it for a couple of minutes and the car starts no problem. The worst was when the rev counter dropped ON THE MOTORWAY and didnt come back up for quite a few seconds then came normal. I decided to pull off at the next junction to get help and got to the top of the slip road and the car cut out and would not start at all. We had to pulled off the slip road by highways patrol. The little man from green flag strongly suspected it is fuel system related as it seems to be being starved of fuel. The car started for him and he followed me safely home although it did splutter a few times.

The car was serviced yesterday. Oil change, all filters including fuel and air changed as we thought this may have been part of the problem. Vacume pipes changed. Garage had left the car running and it hadnt cut out (but it had when we told them about the problem and they were checking it out initially). We drove the car away this evening and got a mile down the road and the spluttering and loss of revs started again (twice on the way home). The garage said that they had seen fuel filters much worse when changed.

Can anyone please suggest anything else that may be the problem? Should i be automatically replacing the fuel pump here or is there something else that could be causing the problem?? (fuel pump relay??) This isnt a constant problem - some days the car drives fine and on a run we havent had a problem - yet. But the problem has been getting steadily worse.

I have 2 very small children and i'm terrified to drive the car at the moment in case it breaks down on me when I am on my own with the kids.

Please help - any suggestions welcome as I dont know what to do..

Thanks

Nicola

kenney
17-02-2010, 10:20 PM
What is the engine code?

Carouser
22-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi There

Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my MK1 VR6 Sharan.

It turned out to be the air flow sensor.

Has anyone suggested this could be the problem at all?

As per the previous post, has anyone plugged in the diagnostic equipment to find a fault code?

Carouser

nicola-bond
23-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for replying you two.

We have now found out the problem after taking it down to our local VW dealer. They put the diagnostics on it as it started playing up when they were stood there and it came up as a faulty engine Speed sensor. Nearly had a heart attack when they told us how much they would charge for the replacement part alone - £180!!! . I've got one in today for £40 new from another local parts supplier so just need to get it fitted now.

Lets hope this cures the problem......

Nobody needs a Fuel pump relay do they??? :beerchug: lol

Crasher
23-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Beware cheap speed sensors, they are very unreliable BUT the VW ones are very expensive.