PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Polo - x Reg - Help please?

mellowmunkee
18-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi,

I own a X plate Polo 1.9 SDI. I have tow queries that I hope some of you will be able to help me with:

- The 'oil service light' has came on recently. Does this indicate a problem with the oil or just that it's 'that time of year' to get the service done?

- Also, the ABS light is on all the time now. It sometimes goes off for short bursts but comes back on again. Is this a sensor do you think? I recently got my tracking done as my tyres were wearing badly on the front inside. After the tracking was completed the camber reading was not alterered that much and the garage said it could be bent shock absorbers?

I'd appreciate it loads if some of you could help me on this.

mclean1979
18-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Im not an expert but i have a few years experience with various difficulties on my x reg polo 1.4SE.

If your ABS is still working then it is probably a sensor. A friend of mine is a VW mechanic and the first thing he checked when my ABS light came on was the back left break sensor. This is inside the car under the back seat and it commonly goes off due to having people sitting in the back of your car. I have a child who uses a booster seat in the back left hence this caused the problem with me. I still sometimes get the ABS warning coming on but it goes away again. Do you regularly have someone sitting in the back of your car?

There are many more things that could be causing the problem but at least this is a suggestion.

RickT
19-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Im not an expert but i have a few years experience with various difficulties on my x reg polo 1.4SE.

If your ABS is still working then it is probably a sensor. A friend of mine is a VW mechanic and the first thing he checked when my ABS light came on was the back left break sensor. This is inside the car under the back seat and it commonly goes off due to having people sitting in the back of your car. I have a child who uses a booster seat in the back left hence this caused the problem with me. I still sometimes get the ABS warning coming on but it goes away again. Do you regularly have someone sitting in the back of your car?

There are many more things that could be causing the problem but at least this is a suggestion.

--

Right..

Once the ABS light comes on.. the ABS is disabled.. due to a fault in the system.

It will be a faulty sensor.. about £30 each.. get it onto VAG-COM and it will tell you which sensor is at fault.

ABS sensor in the car??

It may be in the car... but this would be a first for me.. normally around the braking system is where the sensor is mounted.

Sitting in the back of the car??

maybe if the sensor is in the car... i will be surprised if this is the fault.

in regards to the oil..

Your service is due.. it could be a 12 month service or you could of reasched approc 10k in 12 months which ever is first.

Cheers

RicKT

mellowmunkee
19-05-2007, 06:06 PM
ok thanks a lot. I'll look into it.

I'm after some alloys for my X plate Polo too. Do you know anyone on here who may have some for sale? Also, what other models have the same fitment?

Thanks

mclean1979
26-06-2007, 06:17 PM
--

Right..

Once the ABS light comes on.. the ABS is disabled.. due to a fault in the system.

It will be a faulty sensor.. about £30 each.. get it onto VAG-COM and it will tell you which sensor is at fault.

ABS sensor in the car??

It may be in the car... but this would be a first for me.. normally around the braking system is where the sensor is mounted.

Sitting in the back of the car??

maybe if the sensor is in the car... i will be surprised if this is the fault.

in regards to the oil..

Your service is due.. it could be a 12 month service or you could of reasched approc 10k in 12 months which ever is first.

Cheers

RicKT

Hi there,

just wanted to clear this up. I admit my post was a little vague and slightly unclear so i'll explain anyway.

In my similar polo, under the back left seat, there is a connector for a wire that runs from the back left ABS sensor to (presumably) the engines computer or thereabouts.

Just about every time my kid is in the back left on his wee booster seat it seems to aggrivate the connection between the wires and then making the ABS warning appear on the dash. Normally as soon as he is out the car the warning light dissapears.

If you ask me, this seems to be a bit of a design fault, putting a connector like this underneath the seat, i have just learned to ignore it.

The reason i mentioned this was because i have heard this is quite a common cause the ABS sensor to show.

mgg
23-12-2007, 11:41 AM
I recently got my tracking done as my tyres were wearing badly on the front inside. After the tracking was completed the camber reading was not alterered that much and the garage said it could be bent shock absorbers?

Check your front wheel bearings.

colinallcars
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
We've had the same ABS light problem with my daughter's Polo (2000 1.0E). We eventually noticed that it only happened when someone had been sitting in the back - it appears that one of the connectors is disturbed sufficiently for a fault to register. The connectors are clipped to the floor; I'll have to see if they can be repositioned so that they are not affected by someone sitting in the back.