PDA

View Full Version : Ticking

tone70
18-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Has anyone heard a faint ticking like a clock from the dashboard area? It only seems to happen when you turn the ignition on, not actually turning the engine on, when you do that it stops?!! I've not noticed it before, have only had this 1.8t a month, enjoyed it until now< my first VW!

shottdi
19-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi, The noise you can hear could be coming from the heater. Try listening in the passenger footwell. If the noise is coming from here it is likely to be the motor which controls the recirculation flap in the heater. If you switch the heater control to recirc mode the noise should stop. Hope this helps.

tone70
20-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for help, so is the ticking normal? Should it be doing this or does something have to be repaired/changed?

shottdi
20-05-2007, 08:58 PM
No, the ticking noise is not normal. I think it's caused by the motor/linkage on the recirc flap jumping out of engagement. I have the same problem on my Passat and apparently it's quite common. If you want to repair this, it means taking the complete dash out to gain access to the motor! I know the noise is annoying, but it may be better to leave it, cos if you take the dash out you could be left with even more rattles and squeaks after putting it back!

tone70
21-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks a lot for that, agreed, i think best left alone i can put up with it!

robertok
16-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi, it appears I have the same problem. If I activate re-circ mode, the noise gets louder. I have taken out the glove box and can see the area the noise is coming from, is there no simpler way to fix this, in the meantime can I unplug the motor?