PDA

View Full Version : A6 1.9TDi Fuel Economy Poor

newmancp
18-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi all,

New to these forums so hello!:biglaugh:

From calculation i'm roughly getting 36 miles to the gallon from my 98 A6 110BHP TDi!

:1zhelp:

Has anyone got any ideas on what might be causing such poor economy. It feels lively enough and not sluggish, we do short journeys around town but I would expect better figures than that!

Thanks all,

Chris

Undercover
18-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Probably not too helpful for you, but my '99 A6 1.9 TDi is averaging a shade under 50 mpg (according to the trip computer average thingy). I've not actually tried to work it out myself.

I once had a load of problems with poor economy from an old Fiat Punto (petrol), which were fixed when I did an engine flush with an oil change. Took my MPG from approx 34 to 43! Must have been a sticky valve or something.

newmancp
18-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi there,

Yeah, my computer is saying 47.3 average MPG but when calculating it from filling the tank it works out to 36. I'm getting about 530 miles from 65 litres of fuel (from full tank down to almost empty with the light on for about 20 miles) so I don't think they're terribly accurate:( .

I know the air sensor can affect fuel economey but you usually have poor performance as well.

Cheers for the comparison though:beerchug: ,

Chris

dieselal
18-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi,
Just to let You know that I have a 130 a6 tdi 2002 and am only getting 41 mpg on a run, instead of 50-60mpg.The water temp sensor on these engines including, I believe the 110 were superceded and are now replaced with a green colour fittimg instead of black.Yes, the Mass air meter or MAFF is a common fault also and I am changing mine tomorrow.It will not necessarily show up a fault when diagnosed as the air parameters have to be measured whilst driving the car.Yesterday, I changed the EGR valve on mine as it was spraying out a lot of oil, the car is running better but still poor mpg.The only other things to do are new fuel filter,air filter and a fuel system cleaner, I put valvoline syn power complete diesel treatment in mine , it cleans the injectors and the whole system.
Hope this helps.:beerchug: