PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fuel...Cut out problem

dickturpin
17-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Is it just mine or does anyone else have problems filling with diesel?
Most pumps seem to cut off very quickly as if the fuel is slow dropping into the tank and triggering the auto cut on the pump. Even when the tank is still empty. It can be overcome by holding the nozzle half way out of the tank. Is there a breather that may not be functioning? Car has only 12k on the clock.
Any thoughts?
DC:confused:

Huweth
17-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I get the same on my car. Some suppliers seem to be fine, others terrible. There is a breather on the '98 to '04 Passats, but I don't think there is on the New Passats, or at least it's not visible under the cap. You just gotta get used to it!

dickturpin
17-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry, forgot to add its a 2004 130bhpTdi sport.

Huweth
17-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Then there is a breather. It a small black knob just inside the fuel filler neck. If you push it you should get a whoosh of air if there is enough fuel in the tank. It might help but I doubt it. You can use it to overfill the tank, but don't do this unless you are intedning to drive at least 100 miles as the overfilled fuel could be pushed out of the neck due to excess pressure.

dickturpin
17-05-2007, 09:08 PM
So do you think that the breather isn't working correctly?
I am sorry you have the problem also but it is re-assuring when you hear that your'e not alone!

DC:beerchug:

Huweth
17-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Your breather is probably fine, as is mine. I think it's just a design issue with the shape of the neck or flow rate of Diesel pumps. Remember that some diesel vehicles have tanks many times the size of petrol cars, so a normal flow rate would take ages to fill the tank. It is common, so you just gotta live with it.