PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke on start up.

2rabbits
14-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi guys, not sure if I should be worried about this or not. Started my 2000 Passat TDI (115bhp) yesterday morning, she usually starts first time everytime no matter what the weather, but this time round she struggled to start and eventually kicked into life. After she started there was a lot and I do mean alot of black smoke pouring out of the exhaust for a good 10-15 seconds. The engine was idling but sounded rough.
I do keep on top of servicing etc and have had no major issues with the mechanics of the car, I did have a re-map done about 9 months ago but she runs smoothly and pulls like a good un!
Any ideas?

:1zhelp:

zollaf
14-02-2010, 05:06 PM
check the glow plugs are working

Crasher
14-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Fit four new glow plugs.

2rabbits
14-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I changed the plugs in September so will be pretty annoyed if they are shot already! will drop a new set in and see how it works out at least if it is the plugs it's a cheap fix!
Thanks for the advice.
:beerchug:

zollaf
14-02-2010, 06:36 PM
could be the fuse or relay gone in that case.

Crasher
14-02-2010, 09:42 PM
No, in that case I can’t see it being the glow plugs, as Zolly says, you should look into the glow plug power feed and do a fault code read.

fleamoo
15-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Checked my glow plugs a couple of weeks ago using a clamp ammeter(Tenma 72-7224, 25 quid + delivery CPC catalogue).
Found only one to be drawing current (10-15 amps).
Figured other three probably shot.
Checked again a few days later, last one also kaput!
Found glow plug connectors difficult to unclip to confirm diagnosis so chickened out and had plugs changed by local dealer (40 quid +vat labour didn't seem too bad).
Now fine.
Point is,even without glow plugs working, car started from cold (2 C ambient temp.) with only slight misfire for a few seconds and a bit of bluish smoke. certainly not clouds of black smoke.
Hope this helps diagnosis,&good luck.
(Car is pd 130, 50k on clock).

2rabbits
16-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys!
All plugs were knackered??? four new ones and not a problem in sight!!
You got to love cars!

grhdylan
16-02-2010, 05:27 PM
How do ya change glow plugs ?..... This is my 1st Diesel, is it as easy as changing spark plugs on a patrol engine ?

2rabbits
16-02-2010, 07:22 PM
I have the passat with the ATJ engine code so it might be different to yours, It is a bit more work than others i have had as the fuel filter and bracket has to be moved and the coolant hose is in the way as well. Once that is done it was straight forward.
Had a look at the haynes manual and the other types of engines on the passat seem to be pretty straight forward.