PDA

View Full Version : Novice Audi owner

Kam1
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Have just bought an A4 S Line Avant. Has FSH and is in excellent condition with only 44000 miles on the clock. I've done some research and it seems to be a generally good model. It would be good to hear more experienced owners' opinions.

sooty
12-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Hi there welcome to the forum.

I personally think that the A4 B7 Avant is the best looking estate car around.

What engine did you go for?

Well done for going for the S-Line model

Kam1
12-02-2010, 07:19 AM
We went for the 2.0 model

sooty
12-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Sounds good did you go for a petrol or diesel?

Kam1
12-02-2010, 10:05 AM
A diesel. We pick it up tomorrow morning. Here's the link if you want a peek;

http://www.mackinnoncostello.co.uk/678/ice_showroom.htm

I'm really looking forward to it. We just sold our Discovery 3 and this will be much easier for me to handle and more economical

2.0TDISline
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Mate, :beerchug:

I bought a 2005"54" plate 2.0TDi Sline a few months ago aswell. Mine is a saloon and in Silver, but like yours very low miles and pretty mint. (35K)

I've got to say I'm well happy with mine so far, I do a 60mile a day round trip on M40 and M25, so having cruise is great and on a run like the economy is great. I'm consistantley getting over 600miles on a tank, which works out over 50mpg (I think). It's good anyway's.
Mine came with 17" wheels and 235/45/17 tyres, which even though they are smaller actually look pretty good. I'm on the look out for some 18's though I think if I can get a set at the right price I might upgrade. I get the impression from people on this forum though that 19's are not a good idea as they wreak the ride quality.

Enjoy your S Line. . . .

Mark.

Kam1
12-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Mark

Thanks for that. Years ago we had a Isuzu Trooper and the engine failed in a big way so we lost a good few thousand on that. Since then I always like to find out about cars that we are interested in buying. You certainly sound very happy with your audi, it's good to know

sooty
12-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I like it, great colour and the window tints look OEM.

It's good to go for a lower milage model... Mine had 47k on it when I bought it back in Aug 2009 and now it has hit 62k lol

kodkod.84
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Superb cars the B7 A4 Avants- especially in S-Line trim. I liked my first one so much I bought a second one- you'll love it!

ALF_A4
12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I bought mine for my wife originally but her back did not get on with the seats so I sort of inherited it when I changed jobs a year ago to one where I do 30-40k business miles and a 3.2 V6 Alfa was not ideal!

I'm no fan of turbos or 4-pot engines, and initially didn't much like the car but the more I drive it the more I respect it. I just can't justify a real engine with the miles I do. The build quality and refinement are superb, nothing is as well built as an Audi of this era. The S-Line avant looks great. The handling is very secure - extremely grippy and the more I push it the more I find it sportier and more playful than reviews at the time suggested - my non Quattro lacks 4WD traction but the lighter weight does help other areas of handling, and economy - I get 450-500+ miles from a refill (usually a bit over 60litres) which is good going for a 200bhp petrol car that is not small. Overall, they are very good cars that will grow on the owner in time. I'd probably have chosen Quattro, leather and Bose had it been my choice not my wife's preference of spec but the economy has been a plus, the cloth seats are warmer in winter (and cooler in summer!) and wear better than leather, and the standard stereo sounds great since I "de Bosed" it as per the hints and tips on this forum.

Personally I found the S-Line suspension pretty over damped, the car would not even settle fully on the motorway, I fitted a set of Koni FSD shocks (around £400 a set) and, as for my previous car, they massively improved both the ride quality (at all times) and the handling when pressing on. The ride is much calmer and yet the handling balance and front end grip have improved. Well worth it, and a sensible upgrade alongside the standard springs.

@2.0TDISline, I have a spare set of 9-spoke 18's at the moment that I'm trying to flog, two are in great condition, one has some very light kerb scuffing, one has some light kerb scuffing and one ding from a width restriction - they are the original Audi ones that came with the car and not the weaker aftermarket ones. PM me if interested - I might even part-ex your 17's as I am thinking of winter tyres for next year and these are more widely available on smaller sizes.

wheely88
12-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I also bought my 2006 A4 S-Line Avant 2.0 TDI just over a month ago and absolutely love it. Its in liquid blue which appears to be quite a rare colour and most people love this colour.
Compared to my 3 previous Seat Leons the build quality and the drive is leaps and bounds above in the Audi.
Managed to find a relatively high spec one (xenons, Bose, F+R parking & Cruise) and couldnt believe what a great deal I got at an Audi main dealer (Stafford Audi). The 12 month Audi warranty is priceless, just had both xenon control boxes replaced for latest versions with no quibble at all (my left one had a slight flicker during warm-up cycle).
I also have 17" immaculate condition alloys and looking for 18s.

Best car I've ever owned

Mark