PDA

View Full Version : Leaking sump plug - threads gone. Helicoil or replace sump? With picture.

rjc98rjc98
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi all, just thought I would share a recent 'experience' of a common problem, and what we found out from it.

While changing the oil on a 110 tdi toledo, the sump plug was put back in before the engine re-filled with oil. All seemed ok, except for a small weep of oil from around the sump plug. A small tweak of the spanner later and the sump plug went loose in the hole. The car was driven for a few hundred miles, and the weeping oil continued but was no worse while a plan was devised.

Options were: bodge it with tape/sealer/different washer, helicoil the sump (in situ or removed), drill an oversize sump hole, or replace the sump. I read the various threads and opinions on the matter, spoke to some local garages and technicians, and decided to replace the sump.

Having drained the (less than 500 miles old) oil out, and then taken the sump off, it was clearly the right choice as there were lots of large pieces of swarf in the sump (one circled in red). I dread to think how much of this would have been left in the engine if the sump was not taken off, or if it was helicoiled with the sump still in situ.

zollaf
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
theres a right way to do things, theres cheap ways and there are bodges. well done for choosing the right way. just be careful not to overtighten that new drain plug.

pencil77
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Recently had exactly the same problem when my Toledo went in for a service, got phoned that the sump plug thread had come out with the plug....i chose the new sump route as well, better safe than sorry!