PDA

View Full Version : Passat Estate TDI Buying Advice Needed

saz
17-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi -
Newbie here to VW diesels.
I'm looking at 1995/1996 passat estate tdi's.
Found one on a 1995 plate with 115k, GL trim, history to 70k, with recent oil service.
Reckon it needs belts changed - any ideas on costs for this and should water pump be changed at the same time?
Looking for £1175 with a full years test / 2 months tax- is this a fair price?
I've seen prices between
Any advice on what else to look for that would cost?

Thanks,
SAZ

Dozz
17-02-2006, 02:39 PM
It does sound like it needs it's belts done. I'm not to sure on a Passat of that age what's involved but on the later ones the whole front of the car comes off!!! headlights slam panel the lot. Main ******** want about 350 just for doing the belt alone. Of course if it does let go your be paying a garage what you've just paid for the car to put it right

saz
17-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Cheers Dozz
Indie dealer will do timing belt (must check whether water pump too) if I buy at "the right price". Was reckoning @ £300 for belts, water pump, general service at an Indie and using that to neogiate a bit.
There is a single plug tow bar on the car, so reckon light towing rather than caravan (?).
Would I be ok in assuming that aside from consumables (brake pads not discs) that the motor should be good for another 40k before anything major goes - exhaust, brake discs, cat, dampers etc. So if there is anything like that going now I should walk away?

cheers

Dozz
17-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Can't tell how long engine will last. Should be okay but it's like any car if it's been ragged from day one then could go pop. Mind you diesels are more robust and I once had a peugeot 309 which did 239000 miles on same engine even same turbo so all i can say is give it the once over and if you see anything which alarms you walk away i'm sure your find another

saz
18-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Cheers - going to look tomorrow, will post on return.

saz
20-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Sold before I got the 45 miles on Saturday morning :mad: ... always the way.:aargh4:
Ah well - keep hunting!