PDA

View Full Version : battery tray drain plug.......

rs4
17-05-2007, 10:05 AM
hi guys,about to remove the battery and clean out the drain hole under the tray and wondered if i will need to put the radio code back in once battery is connected again...:1zhelp: many thanks

nickynibbles
17-05-2007, 11:28 AM
In short, yes you will!

Sam
17-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd have it to hand just to be sure.

I personally have never needed to enter the code again when disconnecting the battery. But YMMV

AutoTDI
17-05-2007, 07:59 PM
It all depends on the type of radio. Mine is a Sony with removable panel and there is no code to lose/replace. BTW, I nearly creased myself getting the battery out/in - its not ideally placed for this operation and then a couple of weeks later the battery went kaput and the process had to be repeated! I saw a tip on another thread that I will try next time and that is to get your hand under the scuttle and poke a finger through the drain hole without moving the battery. This might solve a short term problem but it doesn't of course prevent the surrounding debris from clogging it up again.

quethiock
19-05-2007, 07:11 AM
My eight year old A4 has just suffered from the blocked drain plugs - :( - still drying out the carpets! It happened while away on holiday so I had limited tools etc. However, I did have Jumper leads and immediately after removing the battery, and putting it on the ground, I reconnected it using the jump leads onto the cables (suitably insulated with electrical tape!). I had replaced the battery about a year ago and found the radio did not lose the code so I guessed that if the radio was without power for only a short period of time it didn't lose the code. That proved to be the case.

I found a very good article on the problem from a VW Passat owner (complete with pictures etc that helped me tremendously) - see http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/index.htm

Cheers

Mike

onzarob
19-05-2007, 07:46 AM
The radio code is tied to the ecu, so if you put the radio back into the same car then you will not need it.

When i had my bluetooth kit installed the installer passed on this info, when i ask him would he need the code.

Rob:D

quethiock
26-05-2007, 06:48 AM
The radio code is tied to the ecu, so if you put the radio back into the same car then you will not need it.

Rob:D

Thanks Rob - Now home and having dried out the carpets thoroughly, and cleaned the drain plugs properly, I have confirmed your message because I have had the radio out for several hours ... and no code needed when connecting it back up.

Mike