PDA

View Full Version : fuse for alternator?

linkscabs
10-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi , MY octavia 1.9tdi 55 plate, battery light came on and car would not hold a charge, put a new alternator on but still no charge, I had jump started a car prior to the battery light coming on could I have blown a fuse ? or something else ?

sr-performance
11-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi mate, check the earth straps and the red wire from alternator to battery as this can put your batt light on. i dont think the alternator is fused..

martin1810
11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Follow the wires back from the alternator. If it's like a VW you will have a fuse or maybe two fuses either on or in the control unit box under the bonnet

linkscabs
11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
THANKS GUYS i WILL TRY THESE SOLUTIONS OUT , MANY THANKS

stockcarss
10-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Hello I'm having similar issue after fitting a new alternator to my 04 plate octavia. As far as I can see I have not blown any fuses in the fuse box or those in the dash board compartment. I did have a couple of sparks while taking off the old one as I was lazy and did not undo the batter first. What was your soluition? I have checked the charging system with a multimeter and its only reading 11 volts as far as in know it should be putting out 13 if its working correctly. Any further suggestions will welcome.

phil miller
10-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Hello I'm having similar issue after fitting a new alternator to my 04 plate octavia. As far as I can see I have not blown any fuses in the fuse box or those in the dash board compartment. I did have a couple of sparks while taking off the old one as I was lazy and did not undo the batter first. What was your soluition? I have checked the charging system with a multimeter and its only reading 11 volts as far as in know it should be putting out 13 if its working correctly. Any further suggestions will welcome.

iirc on top or beside the battery is 3/4 thick wires that have link fuses (50 amp i think) check thoses, also have you check the output on the back of the alt? with a running engine you should have a reading of about 14.2 volts with nothing on, with lights and heater on it should drop to about 13.7, it sounds ver much like one of the link fuses is blown or a wire is broken, it is common for the small wire on the alt to break down near the gearbox, a check on the back of the alt will help to guide you the right way mate

stockcarss
15-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the information. It turned out to be the link fuse you mentioned. On my car they are located on the front of the fuse box so you don't notice them at first.

Cheers:D

Maccarone88
09-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the information. It turned out to be the link fuse you mentioned. On my car they are located on the front of the fuse box so you don't notice them at first.

Cheers:D

HI sorry about this.
how did you manage to see which link fuse was to change?
thank you

Scott K
28-09-2018, 10:03 AM
This thread is 8 years old - you might not get a reply!! Probably best to start your own thread.
Good luck.