PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a Touran?

bora23
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Hello!,
I have a Golf TDI alreadyand we now need to get rid of my wifes clio and were looking to get a touran as we have a little one and there is hardly any space in the golf and the clio is a joke for space. Does anyone have any advice for me? I was looking at a 1.9 TDI 105 with 45k on the clock from a main dealer for £7000. I have also seen lots of 2.0 TDI 140's. There are also a few 1.6 FSI versions but i like the idea of a diesel.

I like the idea of an auto, and i have done some research into the DSG box. Can anyone offer me any advice?

mickymac77
09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Hello there,

we have had a 105tdi Touran for 3 yrs now, purchased it at 2yr old with 35k on it and now have 50k on it. It is a great practical car for children and the wife swears by it for easy of getting the children lifted in and out.

we have the base model the 105tdi s but would go for the se the next time.

good points:

make sure you go for the 7 seater, better resale and useful for extra friends etc.

manual is good enough and comes in 6 speed, cruises well on the motorway.

bad points:

returns around 35-37mpg when wife drives.

ours has just had the £1000 abs pump replaced at our cost, make sure you buy one with warranty.

will only take 2 isofix seats in the outer of the middle row, difficult to get a third child/baby seat to sit securely in the middle of these two.

does not have a spare wheel in 7 seat form, comes with a pump and bottle of sealer, not overly great on anything better than a slow puncture.

hopefully this helps, I would still buy another one possible on 2.0 tdi guise for some more power when loaded.

anotherone
12-02-2010, 05:58 PM
i,ve had 3 diesel tourans ,brilliant each one better than last ,never had any warranty issues at all ,i flys when needed will cruise all day ,what do you need to know:biglaugh:

zombiebob
13-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi there, I`ve had a Touran SE 1.9Tdi for 1 year now with the only problem was the brake lights staying on and the glow plug light flashing, turned out it was a faulty sensor to do with the cruise control. Can`t fault it, 40ish MPG around the doors. They do suffer from ABS pump failure £1000 + to repair so get one with a warranty, timing belts due to be changed every 40k or 4 years. 7 seater comes without a spare wheel but you can get a space saver on ebay for about £50 which if you take out the tyre gunk and compressor from the hole in the boot the wheel sits in nicely and you know that you will be able to get home, lets face it that gunk will only fix a slow puncture and nothing else. The S trim level doesn`t have speakers in the rear so no sound behind the front seats. What I found out before I bought mine was that the 2 liter suffers from coolant leaks which are costly to repair. It also has an auxilliary heater fitted which helps the car to heat up quick on cold mornings and these are known to be quite smokey when sitting still but it works well, hot air blowing from heater within 2 minutes!

mrobert
15-02-2010, 05:20 PM
My 7-seater 105 is in its 4th year and approaching 60,000 miles. The ABS pump failed in the mid-30,000 and within the warranty period, but that's been the only significant problem.

Like others I'd avoid relying on the gunk for punctures. I checked with a local garage about using a space saver wheel and they recommended against using one for any distance or speed - basically fine for driving 10 miles to a tyre shop, but they had concerns over the weight of the car with such a narrow tyre especially on the front. So, given that I travel with 3 kids I decided to buy a spare wheel and tyre for £50 on eBay. Carrying it means losing the 7th seat.

Over the mileage I've averaged about 46mpg but I don't do any city driving and have another car for most short trips. Service at 57,000 at a VW garage cost £530 whilst a normal service costs £270. I use 1 litre of the special oil every 10,000 miles.

Spreading the purchase cost (from new) over 7 years it's costing me around 30p per mile.

There are much more exciting cars in this class but I'm delighted with it.

Mike

BilDal09
15-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a Touran with a DSG gearbox. Fine when it was working. The gearbox now cuts out with no drive without warning. A highly dangerous fault tried reporting it to VOSA but they weren't interested. If you look on the internet there are plenty of other examples of DSG faults. In my case I had it diagnosed by a VW dealer and was quoted £2100 for a replacement Mechatronics unit (the electro hydraulic unit that controls the gerabox). VW would not offer any help as the vehicle is over five years old but has only done 60 000 miles.

I would never go near a DSG gearbox car again. If you do decide to buy one then make sure you get and extended warantee.

Another common fault is the ABS control, the pressure sensor fails and cannot be repaired. A fitted replacement costs £1700. I have had this fault as well. Again no offer of help from VW, although I believe they now offer reconditioned units for £700 + fitting.:(

PS - around 300 000 DSG gearboxed cars have been recalled in the USA and VW have had to repair them and offer a 100 000 mile warantee. Not in the UK though where the consumer protection laws are not as strong.

bora23
16-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Thats great thanks for all your advice, i think weve settled on a TDI Sport 2.0 6 Speed manual. It is jazz blue with full leather and 60,000 on the clock for £7k. Its coming from Bradford to the dealer next week so ill keep you posted.