PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the boot trim out?

BarryD
16-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi - simple problem :1zhelp: my cabrio (99 on the T) has a broken electric antenna, I want to replace it but I can't figure out how to remove all the boot trim. Now I'm not handy with spanners but being stumped at this point seems very poor!

:biglaugh:

brd
17-05-2007, 08:13 AM
First, I think you need to unscrew the plastic piece that crosses the bottom of the boot at the lock... easy few screws.
Then there are plastic discs about an inch in diameter that hold the liner in... the ones at the top screw off I think and the others need you to pry the top layer gently off as it's a wedge insert like thing for the part underneath it.
The liner is also then just slotted into the rubber seal around the boot itself.

Should be an easy enough job.... just go easy with the plastic tabs and things holding it in as they are a bit fragile and can be a tad awkward to get out sometimes.

Changing the antenna itself is not so bad either... again a little fiddly, but worth the effort for sure.

B.

BarryD
18-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Many thanks - that's sort of where I'd got to but nothing seemed to want to come out. I will give it another go. :beerchug:

JonnyPilot
21-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi, I've had the same problem, well Aerial is not functioning on a 96 Cabrio, and I have manged to get the lining out without a problem, simply by releasing the two disk clips with three holes at the top of the panel.

They are designed with a three prong clip that mounts onto a threaded boss which is part of the bodywork. I suspect the correct tool for removal has three prongs that insert into the clip, and I would suggest you try to find three small nails or the like to aid their release.

Once in, the aerial is pretty easy to get out. If you haven't already discovered the assembly is unbolted then you pull it downwards as it has a simple push fit through the wing. You will need to make sure that you have released all of the cables before hand, I think the coax is pinned at the top. Just check.

I am also looking for some help still, having stripped down the motor unit, I think it is U/S. Can you advise what replacement you have bought, and if it is powered.

Hope this helps - Cheers!