PDA

View Full Version : Golf Tdi 2.0 BKD shuddering on hot idle

Bakers VW
06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Hello I am getting a shudder problem. I have a 2006 mk5 gt tdi 140 BKD Engine code 39500 miles on the long life service plan. I get an intermitant shudder when idling. It mainly seems to occur on inclines and only when hot but not allways. If I depress the clutch it makes no differance. Should I be worried? Any ideas what to check??

Thanks

Lee

RUSSGT
08-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Hello I am getting a shudder problem. I have a 2006 mk5 gt tdi 140 BKD Engine code 39500 miles on the long life service plan. I get an intermitant shudder when idling. It mainly seems to occur on inclines and only when hot but not allways. If I depress the clutch it makes no differance. Should I be worried? Any ideas what to check??

Thanks

Lee

Is it happening when you have the engine under load or only when it's sitting idling ? If it's when it's under load then try dropping it back a gear or keeping the revs up because it sounds like it could be to do with labouring the engine below the required torque band, this is normal but to avoid it happening drop it back a gear or keep the revs up a bit on inclines. If not you could try checking engine and gearbox mountings as well :)

Bakers VW
08-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Russ

Thanks for your reply. It only happens when it's stationary idleling and only when up to operating temperature. It's a bit weird. Like I say never in motion and is just the same with the clutch depresed.

Thanks

Lee

towcestervag
09-02-2010, 06:23 PM
freinds touran does the same
no lights on just intermittant missfire at idle
no codes and otherwise car runs sweet
all measuring blocks in tolerance but another golf i had did similar thing but smoked
glow plugs cured this so may put glow plugs in the touran to see at its next service

RUSSGT
10-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Hi Russ

Thanks for your reply. It only happens when it's stationary idleling and only when up to operating temperature. It's a bit weird. Like I say never in motion and is just the same with the clutch depresed.

Thanks

Lee

Could also be a bad batch of fuel, you could try running a bottle of injector cleaner through it. As mentioned by towcestervag it could be a glow plug as well.

Anubis8
16-02-2010, 07:50 PM
my A3 does this aswell but i was wondering if it could be the timing belt?

STEWY L
16-02-2010, 08:22 PM
not likely to be glow plugs if it's misfiring at normal operating temperature,
or even when cold for that matter. once it's running the glow plugs do nothing.
a code read would be the thing to do and remove some of the guesswork,
egr valve sticking,or maf,or tons of other possible sensor faults.
regards,
stewy.

Shahzaib
26-02-2010, 12:37 AM
My 2.0 TDi A3 also a BKD does the same.

I've always ignored it and its on 114,000 miles now with no problems, the motor intakes flap is stuck in the open position and there was once a fault code logged about it but no light. I will replace it soon, but I don't think it will solve anything other then the slightly rough shut down.

Let me know how you get on with yours.

Thanks

Tuga_23
26-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone

Thi is my first post in this forum.

I have a VW Touran 2.0 TDI 140cv, and my engine does the same thing.

You dont need to worry about that because is not a engine problem, Is more a Engine Caracteristic.

I like to apologise for my bad english.

See you all

Shahzaib
26-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi Tuga_23,

I think you are correct.

Thing I cant get my head around is why is it so random and why does gravity affect it (I find its only noticeable on an incline) and Bakers VW seems have the same experience.

Anyway I'll update when I change the motor intake valve.

Matt C
03-03-2010, 01:08 AM
My 57 Plate 2.0 170 golf has had a shudder at standstill from new (also only when hot), almost as if the gears are dragging with a little double jolt/shudder every couple of seconds. It has now done 50,000 miles and still does the same. even after a new gearbox (nothing to do with the shudder). If yours is the same I wouldn't worry too much.

vwfanatic
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here:Blush:

I have the same experience with my MkV BKD.

As far as i know, it is not the engine but the dual-mass flywheel.
It has something to do with the springs and grease inside the flywheel.

I only have the "problem" in the cold wintermonths, in the summertime with 20+ C degrees i hardly ever experience this "disturbance"

Som cars have SACHS flywheel and some have LUK flywheels, so not all cars ar affected. I have my flywheel replaced due to a factory recall. And the next fall/winter i had the problem. :(

Shahzaib
04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
So i replaced the non functioning motor intake flap, cleaned the EGR while I was at it (although it look good before cleaning).

No improvement to the shuddering problem. The car does feel and drive smoother.

I have also been advised the flywheel is cause of the shuddering.

Bakers VW
20-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Hello all

Thanks for the replys. Service is due in 600 mile so will get them to check it. This Air intake valve sticking seems to be likely as it seems to be worse after a motor way run?? Could just be a coinsidence though a bit weird because some day it runs perfectly. Others have suggested the injector loom as well. DMF Dual mass flywheel problems should disapear when the cluts is depressed so it cannot be that. It's a perfect car apart from that. Argh so annoying. I will let you know what the service shows up.

Thanks

Lee

vwfanatic
20-03-2010, 12:40 PM
DMF Dual mass flywheel problems should disapear when the cluts is depressed so it cannot be that.

Why should it disapear when the clutch is depressed?
The flywheel is mounted on the cranckshaft and will therefore rotate as long as the engine is turned on.

I'll still set my money on the flywheel.

Bakers VW
21-03-2010, 02:03 PM
As all clutches are. I am not a expert on DMF but on traditional flywheel clutches which I have done loads of work on and problems which are related to the clutch normallt cease when the clutch is depressed. Due to the pressure applied to the clutch seperating the driven plate from the flywheel. With mine its on the long liver service plan serviced at 23 due at 43 so give an indication of how its been driven as it would have come up on the service indicator early and also the milage at 41K I would not expect to be replacing clutches on a VW maybee a Ford LOL. I have a mk3 golf tdi done 215K on the orginal clutch which I use to tow stuff! I dont knowI guess we will see when we hook it up to VAG. There is no judder engaging or pulling off whines and it does not do it all time confusingly..?? In fact it seems worse after a run on a motorway. When poodling around (technical term) it hardly ever does it.

twowheeler
29-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi there!

Did changing the motor intake valve sort the problem out? I've got the same problem on an '53 A3 2.0 TDI (140). I've had the car from new. I've done 118k and plan to keep it a few more years so want to sort it out. I think it's something simple. I've tried injector cleaners, Audi ECU updates and higher grade fuel, all have improved a bit but not fully resolved it.

I'm currently wondering whether getting a remap might help? It seems that you can get a large increase in power. Has anyone done this, was is it worthwhile for you?

Thanks!

A3 2.0 TDI (140HP) DIESEL
-standard- 140bhp/236Nm
-eco- 188bhp/296Nm 20% - £250
-stage1- 179bhp/310Nm - £250
-custom tune- 186bhp/320Nm - £430
(from http://sussexautotechnik.com/)

Shahzaib
30-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Changing the motor intake flap didn't sort this out but it does make the engine shut down seamlessly and I get better mpg.

I had a look at the injection quantities using VAG COM while it was at full operating temperature and shuddering and they seem to be well balanced. In fact every reading seems to be within range or bang on the mark.

I used this as a guide to compare them
http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_10566.html#1

I can only conclude the dual mass flywheel is the cause on my car.

Bakers VW
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Hooked the car up to vag com today and show no faults. Timing was spot on so I serviced it using VW parts and oil. I still have the same problem though curiosly worse when the outside temprature is colder. Then we noticed it the DMF rattle on shut down so I amfraid a new clutch is the awnser. Apparently this is very common but at 40K and the clutch is on its way not happy. Have Ford brought VW and not told anyone?? Looking for a single mass conversion kit if anyone anyone can recomend one?

passatleeds
31-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi, i have had 3 2.0 tdi vag cars vw golf 05 102k, passat 55 90k, and my current passat sport estate dsg with 118k, all have been ex company cars with full service history and all mine have done it! My girlfriend always makes me leave the engine on when i get out of the car and after a few minutes the car seems to shudder as if it isnt properly balanced? The only way i can discribe it is if you can imagine a 10kg weight been welded on to your flywheel lol And im sure there is a recall at v.w i was told that is suposed to cure the shudder think its sum sort of updated software for the ecu? Absolutley nothing to worry about what so ever. Hope this helps

martijn v o
06-06-2010, 08:22 PM
@ lee: Is your problem solved yet?

Can you check your dieselfuel filter. If it is black your dual pomp has a mail function.
And is your oil level not too high? there may be diesel in your oil.

smiffy86
24-06-2010, 07:36 PM
I replaced the flywheel and clutch a couple of weeks back. I had the factory fit Sach's setup, and replaced with a LUK setup and ever since I have had the engine shudder.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but the LUK flywheel is physically smaller than the Sachs. I put the shuddering down to this, but I may be totally wrong.

After doing extensive research I'm more than happy this isn't a "problem" more an irritation.

martijn v o
30-07-2010, 04:27 PM
If its getting worse i think that your dual mass flywheel is broken. A very common problem with this engine.
To replace it for a single mass flywheel it is not recommended due to the forces on the drive drain and gearbox.

nediagnostics
22-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Could also be a bad batch of fuel, you could try running a bottle of injector cleaner through it. As mentioned by towcestervag it could be a glow plug as well.

iv in past had something as simple [a dirty fuel filter] cure change filter