PDA

View Full Version : Mk4 golf air filter

daniel_louis
16-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi Guys,
i have just bought a KN panel filter for my Golf GT TDI 130.
can i ask if this is easy to install, if so how do i take out the old filter.

also will the KN panel make much difference?!

kind regards
Daniel

mojogoes
16-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi Daniel............i'm not a 100% but there should be a piece of intake tube that runs from the air box to the maf sensor , its should be held on by way of a clip...undo the clip so as to give you some play at the filter box end.

Now open the filter box by unclipping 4/5 clips that hold the top of the air box in place then take out the oem paper filter and replace with the k&n , also clean out the filter box with a hover if ther are some small dirt like particles in there.

Now when you refit the filter box lid make shaw you have a complete air tight seal because if you don't it can cause it 1 let dirt pass into the maf and turbo and 2 it will then make a big swoooooshing sound plus lots of smoke out back.

This does'nt make alot of a performance difference other than hearing a larger intake sound and also a little better spool up , Some people have reported by changing to a 2.5" exhaust straight from the turbo with no cat,mid box, or back box = exhaustoctomy and changing the inlet manifold and pipe work a larger hp gain can be made but more over spool up and a couple of psi more seems to be the most gained here.

My mk3 1Z motor has such a setup plus a T28bb turbo,high lift cam,2.0L pistons,hardoned rods,large b/plate intercooler,larger 520 race injectors, and hopefully in the next month or so 250hp when its live mapped.