PDA

View Full Version : Please Help How to Fit Drop Links

passat130tdi
05-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Did the links but still got knocking on uneven roads !

any ideas????????

hi

re earlier post...i have now discovered it is the anti roll bar drop-links.

i have just got a price for them from a local supplier and am attempting to renew them myself tomorrow!!!!

any tips??

i am going to use axle stands to keep the front end level but wondered if i need to support the anti roll bar itself?

any pics or tips will be greatly appreciated

cheers

zollaf
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
just support the front, with both wheels off the ground and replace the links. simples. no need to support the bar.

passat130tdi
05-02-2010, 02:46 PM
cheers zollaf

Y90USF
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
once your under the car and looking at them im sure you will find them easy to do...just ensure you put the right ones on each side and dont do what the numptys a vw did and put the wrong ones on!!!!

snapdragon
06-02-2010, 08:36 PM
If they are the later solid bush type. Make sure you tighten the bolts while the car is on the ground and the suspension is settled down.

passat130tdi
06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
did them toady and youre right they are pretty easy. got dark so car still on axle stands on drive. it must be very difficult to tighten once car is lowered as there wont be a great deal of space?

snapdragon
06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
It's probably not so bad for roll-bar links as they are cheap and no that critical and maybe not that much deflection, but if you tighten bolts through bushes in the air, the bushes will twist up when lowered and soon be ruined.
A garage would use a lift and have the car stood on the ramp.
You can lower it onto breeze blocks, or leave them loose and get an exhaust centre to nip them up for a couple of pound.

passat130tdi
07-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Cheers snapdragon .

passat130tdi
07-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Did the links but still got a knocking !

Any ideas ? Only when I go over ridges in road or bumpy road. If its fairly good road, no knocking.

Cheers

chris494rep
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Ive had exactly the same on my 03 tdi sport for over a year now. Its been in to many garages and the only thing one could find was the upper "twisted" arms bushes. (sorry, dont know the correct names) this didnt stop it at all! I suppose whatever is worn is causing other components to wear too. Its like a clicking sound over uneven roads as you describe, although strangely not over large bumps like speedbumps. I also have a loud click when accelerating from a stop. Possible engine mounts? what do you think?

vwtdi130pd
09-02-2010, 09:47 PM
don't laugh it may be the dash board and im no kiddin

wheelnutter
05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Stupid question I know, but looked around for the answer with no success. Haynes manual no help either.
Slightly confused about fitting drop links. One bush is wider than the other. Does the wide one go to the bottom or the top. Your help appreciated. Thanks.

wheelnutter
05-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Think I have worked it out from photos on Ebay.
Thanks

passat tdi130
10-08-2012, 06:59 PM
if its knocking from the passenger side as you go down a bumpy road or go over a speed bump it will be the shocker top's mine is exactly the same.... + i have the dash clunks going round corners as well... really annoys me..!