PDA

View Full Version : Touran Starting Problem

dazzopardi
15-05-2007, 11:08 PM
I am noticing that my 3 year old Touran 1.9 TDI is difficult to start when the engine is hot(normal temperature).What I mean is that although the starter cranks the engine strongly the engine won't start immediately (like when from cold) It sometimes takes 2 to 3 4seconds cranking. However if the engine has been off for half an hour , then it starts immediately.The battery has never been replaced but the indicator shows green and since the fault only occurs after a good run I hardly suspect the battery. Could this have to do with me not using the car frequently enough?...so far it has only done 15000Km!

vwconvert
29-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I have a 05 Touran TDI with exactly the same problem. It appears to be a fuel starvation problem since you can rule out the starter and glow plugs as they work fine at all other times. I reckon that, when the engine is hot, the engine fuel pump (FP) is not being allowed to prime before ignition. When it is cold and just before you turn the key to start, you should just be able to hear the FP prime - a little 'wet whoosh' sound! I think that it may be a sensor failure but, since I read that you had the same fault, I have instructed my local dealership to ask VW UK whether this is a known fault and I will let you know if I get anything useful back.

chimpymech
28-07-2008, 04:01 PM
I've got the same problem with my 54 plate 1.9 TDi. Have either of you managed to identify / resolved this problem as it's driving me mad!

I have a work around solution on my car - if the engine is hot and I need to re-start it, I turn the ignition 'On' so that the engine turns over for about 1 second then turn the ignition key to the 'Off' position. Then when I immediately try to re-start the engine for the second time - the engine will then start immediatelty. This technique saves the engine turning over on the starter for extended periods - but as I say if anyone can suggest a permanent solution I'd be most grateful.

sayloday
02-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Hi all

Check this link http://www.clubtouran.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2720&highlight=starting with ref. to hot starting problems on Tourans

Regards

Dave

simonlloyd2
04-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Sorry to start this thred up again, did anyone find out what the problem was with the hot start issue? As i have the same problem!
Did try link above but link is dead

S_K_S
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Bump! I bought an 08 Touran in January and I am having the same problem. Spoken to the VW Stourbridge and the car is going in on Monday before the 3 year warranty runs out.

Has anyone come across a fix for this?

chimpymech
12-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey,
I've still got this problem too! Some say it's a battery problem - I've just changed mine - still got hot starting problem. Some say it could be a weak starter motor........that could be expensive!
I'll be very interested to know the outcome of your cars visit to the dealer...good luck, hope it's something simple.

Thanks.

S_K_S
14-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Just been phoned by the dealer to say that it is a faulty starter motor which they are replacing under warranty. I was also getting a loud booming noise from the engine when the car was going over 70mph which they are also putting down to the starter motor. Let's see when I pick it up tomorrow.

chimpymech
15-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the update.

The weak starter makes sense as far as hot starting is concerned [previous posts agree], I can't see the connection with the starter and booming whilst driving though, as the starter only engages whilst cranking the engine, it disengages once the engine starts, personally I'd check air intake / turbo hoses etc for tightness / leaks [if it persists] which could be the source of the booming noise.
My hot starting can be worked 'round by briefly cranking the starter - turning the ignition key back to the 'glow plugs on' position - then immediately crank the engine again. At this point the engine always starts straight away. I've been doing this procedure for the last 3 years - but I'm reluctant to splash out on a new starter as if it was weak [ie not turning the engine above approx 700 rpm] surely the hot starting problem would not be work 'roundable.

Anyway enough of my woes - I hope the new starter solves both of your issues, I'd be interested to know the outcome.

Thanks again.

simonlloyd2
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Sorted! Weak Starter motor
The motor wasn't generating enough rpm when hot
Sourced one from Euro Car part £218 thats including a surcharge £90