PDA

View Full Version : problem with halifax on line.

zollaf
02-02-2010, 12:04 PM
i am trying to do my online banking with halifax, however when i gi to the page to sign in, my computer is telling me not to because the websites security certificate has expired. i have phoned the bank and an expert told me there is no problem at their end, so it must be my computer. i have run a full scan (pc doctor, dont laugh), and cleared my cookie things, browsing history etc. no viruses were found, and my computer seems ok to me? anyone got any idea whats going on.

Hex69
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Just been on to the page http://www.halifax-online.co.uk (http://www.halifax-online.co.uk/)

couldn't find an issue with the certificate. :confused: Which browser are you using?

zollaf
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
thanks for the reply. we use internet explorer. i have just got th oh to try from work, and its fine, but when i click on your link it takes me to the page saying theres a problem with their certificate and not to proceed ? looks like it must be a fault with my computer. the good thing is the balance is about right and theres no spurious transactions so i dont think weve been scammed, yet.

MalcQV
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I use it regular too. No problem at present. Try Firefox or maybe Google Chrome. I use the former all the time.

zollaf
02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
ok, will do. i will wait for her to come back from work though, as i am banned from doing anything to this computer like that, as last time i did it all ended in tears. they were my tears from being told off, but she did get it fixed.:D

Hex69
02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I use it regular too. No problem at present. Try Firefox or maybe Google Chrome. I use the former all the time.

Ditto, I use Firefox as default browser, if you're using IE6 there's all sorts of vulnerabilities with it. :zx11:

MalcQV
02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Just accessed Halifax through FireFox 3.5.7 and IE 8.0.6001.18702 with no problems.

zollaf
02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
well i have managed to install google chrome. no problems and i found it quite easy. feeling really proud of myself, but still the same security message?

zollaf
02-02-2010, 02:52 PM
wow, this google chrome is really quick. so much better than regular google. funny thing is, it seems to have a built in spell checker that keeps underlining google.

tornadored7
02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
i am trying to do my online banking with halifax, however when i gi to the page to sign in, my computer is telling me not to because the websites security certificate has expired.

Hi Zollaf,

Confirm that your computer's date and time are set correctly (i.e. check the system tray clock).

Your web browser will verify the SSL (security) certificate's date stamps against your computer's date, invalidating the certificate if either your computer date is incorrect or the SSL date stamps have expired.

(Apologies in advance if this sounds obvious and you've already eliminated this possibility).

TR7

zollaf
02-02-2010, 06:29 PM
spot on. date was set to 5th march. thanks for that. when it comes to computers, nothing is obvious to me. i really shouldnt be allowed to use one, but needs must. thanks again, problem solved.

MalcQV
02-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi Zollaf,

Confirm that your computer's date and time are set correctly (i.e. check the system tray clock).

Your web browser will verify the SSL (security) certificate's date stamps against your computer's date, invalidating the certificate if either your computer date is incorrect or the SSL date stamps have expired.

(Apologies in advance if this sounds obvious and you've already eliminated this possibility).

TR7
:beerchug:

Can-doo
02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Firefox is by far the fastest and most reliable, it overcomes loads of issues if you download large files too.