PDA

View Full Version : Knocking from Front off Car

Y90USF
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
hey guys wonder if somebody can help me out on this one...when the car is warmed up and i am coming up to traffic lights or setting off or driving at low speeds there is a knocking noise at the front off the vehicle as if something is rubbing but as soon as i pick up speed you cannot hear the noise...:confused::confused:

any help would be greatly appreciated......

cazyp
01-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Poss' CV joint, wheel bearings or perhaps brakes/something stuck in dust guard?
Have you had a good look round the wheels and a wiggle or two?

Y90USF
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
i have recently changed the drop links and the straight suspension arms and also the discs and pads to brembo discs and ebc green stuff pads....could the discs have anything to do with this?? or could it be because i hav 18" alloys on the vehicle instead off the prescribed 16" alloys??

cazyp
01-02-2010, 09:47 PM
i have recently changed the drop links and the straight suspension arms and also the discs and pads to brembo discs and ebc green stuff pads....could the discs have anything to do with this?? or could it be because i hav 18" alloys on the vehicle instead off the p
prescribed 16" alloys??

Are they groved disks...? If so thats the lovely noise you can hear.

If not are the tyres rubbing? - jack and spin time ;)

Y90USF
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
they are grooved disks but it does not sound like them....i will be lifting ma car on the ramps and spinning ma wheels and trying to further investigate...currently on the graveyard shift :mad:

Joto
01-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Just a thought but could be engine/gearbox mount. This is noticable on slippery/wet ground when traction control kicks in, a "bumping" sound is indicative of worn engine mounting.

cazyp
01-02-2010, 11:54 PM
they are grooved disks but it does not sound like them....i will be lifting ma car on the ramps and spinning ma wheels and trying to further investigate...currently on the graveyard shift :mad:

EBC pads on groved disks are notoriously noisy...

Y90USF
02-02-2010, 04:55 AM
wat pads could i change them to, to make them quieter...and i shall be checking the engine/gearbox mounts as soon as i get the chance#

Thanks guys

cazyp
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Are the disks directional (some grooved disks are?) Are they on the right way?

If so the noise is just pad to disk contact noise, worse after diving as everything warms up, expands and makes contact. You could try standard pads but may make no difference.

Although personally I'm not a big fan of EBC pads unless you're running track days.

Y90USF
02-02-2010, 09:59 PM
only bought them as the supplier who gets my parts for me couldn't get the originals in and offered me the brembo discs and ebc pads for £160 so i thought may as well try these.

is there Directional signs on the disc??

cazyp
02-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi, all of Brembo’s slotted discs are directional: the discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the brake disc, contacts the brake pad first.