PDA

View Full Version : Correct cambelt change interval for 1998 Passat?

cmman127
15-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm looking for info about a 1998 Passat 1.8i petrol auto. My local garage (and everyone else I have spoken to) says the cambelt should definitely be changed at 60,000 miles, but the car's maintenance guide says it's 80,000 miles. I've read about a Technical Service Bulletin that VW issued recently that says it should actually be 60,000 miles but don't know any details.

I'm looking for a definitive/authoritative answer as to whether 80,000 is correct and realistic for my model, or is that VW being over-optimistic. Any help will be appreciated!

Gavin78
25-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi,
I too have a 1998 1.8 20V. The cambelt was changed at 80k miles as advised by the garage that I purchased the car from. The belt that was taked off was the original. I was not aware of the 60k cambelt change interval you mention though I would suggest replacment of the cambelt tensioner and waterpump belt and tensioner at the same time.

stuart
25-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I would recommend that you follow the advise as given by the Technical Service Bulletin from VW. Manufacturers may change the service interval based on problems they have come across.

A belt snapping could cause a major engine re-build, for example, the 1.8 20v engines will almost certainly bend most of the valve, in some cases can damage the head as well, which you are looking in the region of £1000 plus!

Stuart

cmman127
27-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Many thanks for your help, Gavin and Stuart.

Gavin78
01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I contacted my local VW dealership (Listers) for clarity on this one - there is no service bulletin that they are aware of though it seems that instead of simply quoting 80k mile intervals they now qoute 80k or 4 years. I hope this helps but I would be interested to know more detail on the service bulletin you found - not that I don't trust the VW main dealer you understand!!

cmman127
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I've not seen the Technical Service Bulletin, just saw it referred to in postings on the web.

Stuart, are you aware of a Technical Service Bulletin from VW that changed the recommended timing belt replacement interval?

DrT
02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
I've just had mine changed. The dealer told me 80K or 4 years on the petrol, 60K on the diesel (because the belt is tighter). Anyway, if you ever needed assurance of the importance of having your belt changed, this should do it - My belt was last changed at 61K. The car has now done 144K so I thought I ought to get it changed. The dealer rang me up and said, "I think you'd better come and look at this". When it was last changed, a small roller on the tensioner had been left off. The belt had been wearing it's way through the roller housing for 83K! That's about a centimetre of aluminium that had been worn through. The innermost quarter of the belt had been worn into the kevlar bindings so I was effectively running on a three-quarter width belt. Scary!