PDA

View Full Version : Boot organiser

genix
30-01-2010, 11:18 PM
This (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280428529444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) looks to me like a very practical solution.
It appears the seller advertises it as an original part for Golf Plus 2006 onwards, but I wonder why it wouldn't fit a 2005 model... Any opinions, does anyone have such an organiser on a 2005 model?

zf44
01-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Scrolling down the ad it does say 2005 onwards :(. These should fit all MK 5 Golf Plus models without any problems.

genix
01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Scrolling down the ad it does say 2005 onwards :(. These should fit all MK 5 Golf Plus models without any problems.

Thanks for your reply, zf44, I was also interested to hear if you find it worth having.

I have emailed to the seller on Saturday inquiring about model year (it was '2006', trust me, I wasn't drunk or anything... ;)); he has just got back to me this morning that he has changed it to '2005' now, so I'm really thinking of going for it.

Still open to hearing any opinions,
thanks! :beerchug:

zf44
01-02-2010, 05:18 PM
It really depends how much you carry around with you. In my Golf Plus, I had the 'floating' floor' cover and frequently used the space between the cover and the bottom of boot to fit the shopping in. By fitting the tray will obviously limit using that space unless you are carrying alot of items all the time. Buy saying that for that price it seems good value to me.:D

genix
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I have just bought it... I want it to keep in place all the bits and bobs I carry around (sponge, brush, air pump, torch, first aid kit etc). Now all I could do is to let you know if I really find it a waste of money... :notworthy

I have also come across a luggage net, but I'm not too convinced about how useful that is.

BTW, is there any specific place (i.e. in the cabin) for a fire extinguisher?

zf44
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
You've bought it for a good price. On the extinguisher, you should be able to position it in the boot: on the left hand side there is a recess (with a strap) for an emergency triangle. You should be able secure it there unless you have an emergency triangle in place. On the other storage bits I stored by torch in the under seat drawer on the driver's side and the first aid kit in the under seat drawer on the passenger side. Its amazing how much storage you find on a Golf Plus.... I miss mine! :(

zf44
01-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I would also recommend the net, it held all our countless shopping bags well together!

genix
02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks zf44, I will look up a net, though at £20 I find it a bit pricey... Indeed, lots of storage space everywhere in the Golf Plus, so now I am having problems remembering what I put where... :)

So what are you driving now then?

zf44
02-02-2010, 08:21 AM
A company fleet of Mk6 petrol Golfs, having owned diesels over the years petrol consumption is shocking.

genix
04-02-2010, 09:05 PM
A company fleet of Mk6 petrol Golfs, having owned diesels over the years petrol consumption is shocking.

This is my first diesel, and so far I am impressed, though I'm not too sure how much one can rely on the average consumption figure indicated by the trip computer.

It appears most economic in 6th gear at around 60 mph (1500-2000rpm). while consumption increases sensibly at 70-80mph. I must say I was expecting highest mpg around 70-75mph (most sensible for motorway cruising - for this I suppose I could get the engine tuned by a garage? :confused:

genix
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
BTW, I've got my boot organizer now, it fits perfectly...:biggthump
It takes a bit of volume, as the walls are almost an inch thick, but it keeps the small items together; overall I am pleased with it.

Thanks for the extinguisher tip: I have the triangle there, but my small extinguisher sits nicely nearby in that compartment, no danger of rolling out.

zf44
05-02-2010, 10:46 AM
This is my first diesel, and so far I am impressed, though I'm not too sure how much one can rely on the average consumption figure indicated by the trip computer.

It appears most economic in 6th gear at around 60 mph (1500-2000rpm). while consumption increases sensibly at 70-80mph. I must say I was expecting highest mpg around 70-75mph (most sensible for motorway cruising - for this I suppose I could get the engine tuned by a garage? :confused:

I had a 1.9 TDi SPORT which was identical to yours apart from the fog lights and six speed gearbox, mine averaged 55 to 65mpg. Not bad for that size of car.

zf44
05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
BTW, I've got my boot organizer now, it fits perfectly...:biggthump
It takes a bit of volume, as the walls are almost an inch thick, but it keeps the small items together; overall I am pleased with it.

Thanks for the extinguisher tip: I have the triangle there, but my small extinguisher sits nicely nearby in that compartment, no danger of rolling out.

That boot organiser is a bargain, the ones I have seen for sale were over £100. Now for your next buy........I would highly recommend a set of headlamp protectors. I had a set on mine car wich proved to be a wise investment after a stone thrown by a lorry in front broke my driver's side cover. I sold my replacement set to another forum member but you should be able to buy a set from a dealer for £40 or cheaper from ebay. The covers are shown below.

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&UC=2&Id=600834257

keithwigley
05-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I suppose this organiser will fit the 'standard' Golf also?

zf44
05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Afraid not, the boot in the Golf and Golf Plus are different sizes.

genix
05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
That boot organiser is a bargain, the ones I have seen for sale were over £100.

For those interested, there are still 3 available on ebay (click here) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280428529444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

I would highly recommend a set of headlamp protectors. I had a set on mine car wich proved to be a wise investment after a stone thrown by a lorry in front broke my driver's side cover. I sold my replacement set to another forum member but you should be able to buy a set from a dealer for £40 or cheaper from ebay. Thanks for that, zf44, I'll put them on my shopping list, together with a luggage net. BTW, is fitting them a DIY job or it needs to be done by a garage?

For now I am struggling to deactivate the 'leaving home' function (though it's a cool feature I find it not much useful in my circumstances, and potentially battery draining and a bit irritating for neighbors). Anyway, I have the feeling that it can't be done but only by a garage (I have just a Midline computer, so no 'Convenience' menu there...). I'd appreciate any input from your experience.

zf44
05-02-2010, 12:20 PM
You can fit the headlamp protectors yourself, only takes a matter of minutes. As for the 'coming home function' it's a dealer visit I'm afraid but don't worry it won't drain your battery.

genix
27-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi zf44, just got a luggage net, as you recommended... it works great indeed for small items in the boot (eg. a couple of shopping bags) ... thanks ... :)

My local VW dealer quoted me £46 for the headlamp covers, I'll probably keep looking (those with 2006 models might want to click here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370340356576) -- apparently 2005 and 2006 models have slightly different headlamps... :confused: the guy told me they wont fit my 55 plate model...:().

zf44
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Good to read the luggage net has proved to be useful. News to me on the different styles of the 2005 and 2006 headlamps. Cracked my driver's side headlamp cover in 2007 and the parts guy said the covers will fit any Golf Plus model years. Shame I sold mine, you could have had them for half the price.

alibaly
12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
For those interested, there are still 3 available on ebay (click here) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280428529444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Thanks for that, zf44, I'll put them on my shopping list, together with a luggage net. BTW, is fitting them a DIY job or it needs to be done by a garage?

For now I am struggling to deactivate the 'leaving home' function (though it's a cool feature I find it not much useful in my circumstances, and potentially battery draining and a bit irritating for neighbors). Anyway, I have the feeling that it can't be done but only by a garage (I have just a Midline computer, so no 'Convenience' menu there...). I'd appreciate any input from your experience.
just looked this up as it sounded great. I have a feb. 2006 reg. golf plus 1.9tdi(105)S which does not have a lift up boot cover, this is only on the SE models and the boot side mouldings are different on mine and would not fit.

genix
28-07-2010, 12:20 PM
On the extinguisher, you should be able to position it in the boot: on the left hand side there is a recess (with a strap) for an emergency triangle. You should be able secure it there unless you have an emergency triangle in place.

Its amazing how much storage you find on a Golf Plus.... I miss mine! :(It is amazing indeed.... after owning the car for several months now , just the other week :aargh4:I've discovered that actually there is a special strap for the fire extinguisher located under the front passenger seat .... :Blush:

Frelon
28-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I thought it was for a First Aid Kit!

genix
28-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I thought it was for a First Aid Kit!

I suppose it could take whatever one wants to strap under the passenger seat... :approve: I found my fire extinguisher fits perfectly there (I keep the first aid kit in the drawer, under the same seat).

I am still investigating what I could fit in the slim compartment under the steering wheel (driver's right knee level)... :Blush: grateful for any tips...

genix
15-08-2010, 12:19 AM
. ..I would highly recommend a set of headlamp protectors. I had a set on mine car wich proved to be a wise investment after a stone thrown by a lorry in front broke my driver's side cover...

Hi zf44,
just to let you know, I got my headlamp covers, eventually :Blush:

... and they came with a nice surprise: they have marks to position accurately the headlamp adapters for continental driving (supplied) - came very handy, I've just made use of them in Europe (pic enclosed)... thanks for your advice.

zf44
19-08-2010, 02:18 PM
That's ok, you have made a wise investment there! The covers look best on the reflex silver models so they they really suit your Golf.