PDA

View Full Version : Passat tdi annoying click

Pete Nichols
30-01-2010, 01:17 PM
My 2004 Passat estate tdi sport with 96k miles has started making a clicking sound from the front belt area of the engine. New cambelt fitted approx. 10 months/ 12k miles ago by local VW specalist. Nothing obvious amiss - taken top shield off cam belt drive and no movement in pulleys, tensioner, water pump.

Any ideas?

Pete:confused:

zollaf
30-01-2010, 01:57 PM
welcome. try a little squirt of oil on the alternator drive belt to see if that helps. if it does, put a new belt on it. if it doesnt then remove the belt and briefly start the engine. if the click is still there its within the cambelt area.

DBSK
30-01-2010, 04:16 PM
My A4 made a similar noise, turning about to be a faulty air conditioning compressor, try turning the air con on and off see if it makes any difference. On Audis it only turns on above 5 degrees, so mine was making it constantly until the weather warmed up for the day.

Crasher
30-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Possibly the alternator one way clutch starting to fail.

Pete Nichols
31-01-2010, 02:44 PM
For info, strippped down the belt drives this morning and found piece of grit jammed in a pulley grove (on the tensioner) and having prised it out the noise has gone! Thanks for your earlier reply.

Pete