PDA

View Full Version : Fabia vRS rear brake disk thickness

dervdog
15-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm about to buy a Fabia vRS from a main dealer. The car is a 54 plate in red with 32k on the clock. Loved the test drive and it fits the bill in every way for what i want from a run around.

There were a few issues i wanted them to look at before i agreed to buy and these were:- Clean the interior, 2 new rear tyres, repair a bit of minor cosmetic damage to the rear bumper and investigate the griding from the rear disks. The pads have plenty left on them, the disks look well worn though.

What is the minimum recommended thickness for these disks? I want to make sure they aren't squirming out of replacing them as there is quite a lip there on the edge of the disk and i think that they are shot.

Thanks,

Aran

devonutopia
15-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds like they need new disks to me. Once that lip starts getting quite pronounced, it's time for a change, and you may as well do the pads as well, unless they've got a LOT of meat on them (like in excess of 8mm or so)

Tried asking this over on www.briskoda.net/forums ? ;)

shooey88
15-05-2007, 01:50 PM
generally always replace old pads when fitting new discs....
as when you cum to fit new discs with olds pads...it will cause the new discs to become warped. as you buying a new car demand what u can....as they want to make a sale.

Gemini
17-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Its always been a problem with the rear discs on the VRs. I had a 9 month old se that made awful grinding noises from the rear brakes. Finally had to have them changed(discs and pads) but the grating noise started again about 12 months later. Its because of the braking distribution, not much weight on the rear, so back brakes dont get much use.

pastyboy
18-07-2010, 07:08 AM
First inch of outer edge of rear brake disc not used/covered by brake pad, so in time will rust.
Removed rear discs at 2 years old and gently ground rust off this outer edge and generally cleaned disc edge.
Got my own caliper rewind tool, so total job about 1/2hour each side.

Now another 6 months later outer disc edge looks as though they have never been cleaned ??:zx11:

VAGMAN54
18-07-2010, 02:50 PM
the brake pads dont cover all the disc,check any other rear discs and they are all the same ..:beerchug:

phil miller
18-07-2010, 03:11 PM
the min thickness of the rear disc's is 7mm and new they are 9mm, info off 2009 autodata, hope this helps mate

pastyboy
18-07-2010, 05:26 PM
the brake pads dont cover all the disc,check any other rear discs and they are all the same ..:beerchug:
Must be an echo, I just entered that:beerchug:

VAGMAN54
18-07-2010, 06:37 PM
so what are you asking for then ?:aargh4:if they aint doing nothing and wearing on nothing what do you expect mr engineer ?